Propane Grill Not Cooking

Okay, it's 32 degrees outside and when I put the second burner on the first side flames go way down and the first side is not so great to begin with. Thankfully I am only cooking one steak so one side running is not too bad. I've cooked on a propane grill in sub-freezing weather before, so I know it can be done. My guess is the regulator is not working properly. Am I right or were the other regulators not working properly or is there a different problem?

Mike D.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

propane is blended with butane (?) that works better in lower temps. you just may need to burn it all off and refill.

Reply to
charlie

It was just filled about a month ago and will be Feb or March before it will be empty, maybe later if I can't cook on it.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

If there is that much butane, then it may be too cold to evaporate effectively:

Frank

I have experienced what you describe and after a good cleaning of the grill and rocks it worked better. I can't explain why.

Reply to
badgolferman

y. =EF=BF=BDAm I

take tank off grill, put in sink cover with the hotest water you have from the faucet, let sit at least a 1/2 hour.it will help the propane turn to gas

the newer cant overfill, flow limited tanks are often the cause. i have several tanks so i never run out

honestly its more likely you have spider web in the burner system somewhere.

vacuumn and clean grill while you wait, plus burners rust out often unless they are high grade non magnetic stainless

i blow oiut my burnmers with compressed air occasionally

Reply to
hallerb

Pick up the tank to see if its really full, a leak can happen.

Reply to
ransley

I have a Weber with front & back burners and if the burner valves are open when I open the tank valve it won't get up to temperature. It behaves this way winter or summer.

So try closing the tank valve and the burner valves and then open the tank valve first.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I've had a tank through one cooking period. The second time it failed; it turned out to be, a bad valve on the grill tank. Returned the tank for exchange (still at full/receipt ) and the grill worked with a new tank. It was a bad tank valve.

A second time it failed - replaced the regulator.

Check the burner orifices...for clogs, spiders, webs, or other creatures.

Reply to
Oren

I thought this was a statement of philosphy, that using a propane grill is not cooking. I guess I was thinking that using a propane grill is not barbequeing (no matter what Hank Hill thinks.)

Reply to
mm

Butane has a higher boiling point, and is more affected by cold. Try warming the tank (soak the tank in a bucket of hot water?)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Limp Arbor wrote in :

I'll second that emotion.

I had the OP's exact symptoms until I noticed in the grill manual that I was supposed to open the bottle valve before opening the grill valves. Now that I've been properly trained, I'm feeling much better, stomachwise.

Reply to
SteveBell

Thanks for responding to the googlegroups post. I normally don't see them at all as I killfile all googlegropups posts for all the trolls that they refuse to deal with. Active spamming trolls are down to a few posts a month instead of several daily.

The thing is I do open the tank first, then the burner.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

thanks. i had it backwards.

there are different blends for different seasons, for places where you have different seasons. here, it's warm, hot, and broiling so we don't have blends of propane.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie

Michael Dobony wrote in :

I guess you're back to checking the regulator or trying to increase the tank pressure. At 32°F, I'd expect the pressure to be down. Set the tank in a big pot of hot water.

Reply to
SteveBell

And do the same when shutting off the grill: turn off the tank valve to cut off supply, then when the flame dies, turn off the burners.

Reply to
KLS

on 12/5/2008 8:18 PM SteveBell said the following:

Both propane and butane don't like starting in cold weather. I smoke, and I have a cheap butane cigarette lighter stored in my console, since my car's power sockets are used for electronics. When cold, the butane lighter won't light. I have to hold it in my hand for a few seconds to warm it up before it will light. I've thrown away a number of good lighters before I discovered this.

Reply to
willshak