Propane grill

I have a Brinkman propane grill.

The gas control knobs aren't letting gas through, thus it can't be lit.

Do I need to change out what I would call, Gas Control Valves ?

If so, would it be safe to just change out 2 out of the 4 for now ? (Assuming the others would be kept closed.)

Thanks.

Reply to
Andy

Are you sure you are getting gas out of the bottle?

If the bottle is overfilled that OPV won't let the gas out either. Try tilting it a little to lower the float.

Reply to
gfretwell

New and recertified gas bottles often have safty features that block gas flow (example over filled)

Reply to
NotMe

Hi, Hard to believe it is bad. Sure gas is coming out of the tank? In years on BBQs or camping trailers, I never experienced that. No gauge on the tank? I have a gauge on the tank so I can tell gas is flowing or how much gas is left in the tank. I bought the gauge from Costco. Very handy item.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The valves are not the problem, the tank is. Turn the tank off. Let it sit a minute and with burners closed, slowly turn the valve on a half turn. Now try to light it.

If that does not work.the tank is overfilled and you may have to bleed off a little. The OPD tanks are a PITA at times Thank your government for intruding on your dinner.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had an insect build a mud nest in my side burner that prevented it from lighting.

Reply to
tom

spiders love to build nests in the passages.

could be a clogged burner, i remove burner and wash it out with a garden hose

while the burner is removed turn on the gas valves and check for flow....

no flow means its a clog somewhere, a tank with a problem, or what no one has mentioned a bad regulator......

my gas grill must be 40 years old, its used a lot even in mid winter. I have rebuilt it many times.

its a working keepsake, my moms and one of the few things i have of hers.

Its a high BTU lava rock grill, i doubt new ones are made today.....

over the years near every part has gone bad, worn out or failed in some way. i am a super tech on this grill.....:)

Reply to
bob haller

Tom already posted about an insect building a nest which clogged his burner but I would unscrew the jets on the end of the gas valves to see if there is debris clogging them up. I've had to clean those jets on both Natural Gas and LP gas appliances. If you are very careful and do this test outdoors, not in a garage or under a deck. Set it up out in the yard and with your regulator and gas line removed from the grill, screw it into the propane tank, slowly open the valve to see what kind of gas flow is coming out the end of the hose. If you don't have a manometer to measure the pressure, usually around 6psi or 11 inches Water Column, the gas flow will feel like you're blowing hard into the palm of your hand, tuba players back if off a notch. If you get no gas flow, as others have posted, it could be a safety device preventing gas flow or a clogged or defective regulator. Be safe. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've had more than one spider take up residence in the venturi, preventing air from mixing with the propane. This leads to the tell-tale symptom of a yellow flame.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I don't think it is a problem with the propane tank because it works on a heater that heats up oil for like a crawfish boil or turkey fry.

The igniter does not work.

Other gas grills worked fine using a long lighter to ignite the gas.

Maybe it has some safety feature, that won't let gas flow if the ignitor does not work, but since the ignitor is a piezo type, I would not think that to be the case.

I did not buy the grill, so I will try again to find the model number so I can get a manual.

It is a Brinkman grill with four main burners and one side burner.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Hi, Did you check the regulator? It must have one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Usually, the piezo lighter is generic and a replacement can be bought at the big box stores or many hardware or garden stores.

Reply to
willshak