Home Repair

Hi,

Can't the Posts here be limited to just "home repair" ?

R.

Reply to
Robert Rose

Would be nice but there is no mechanism for that in unmoderated groups.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We wish.

2 things at work here:

  1. Stupid people unable to contain their political fervor but unable to carry on a rational political discussion on the political boards.

  2. Possible Russian trolls seeing the advantage of disrupting everything civilized society engages in, including discussing home repair.
Reply to
Dan Espen

We all want it. Personally I k-f all posters that are never on topic whether I agree with them or not. Just looking at the k-f log, there must be 100 in there from the past couple of days. Unfortunately ahr is the most active ng and attracts all the attention seeking kooks.

Reply to
Frank

Maybe one should also consider that without some of the off topic discussion the newsgroup might be like most of the others that have totally died out. The main problem I see is not that there is off topic discussion, but that just a few posters that create 90% of the off topic THREADS. When there are trolls saturating with one new thread after another, then when some new person shows up looking for AHR stuff, they will likely figure it's not worth posting, because there is only one AHR thread for 25 or whatever off topic ones.

Reply to
trader_4

Your post is not about an actual home repair and thus would be banned.

Killfile or ignore the jerks.

Reply to
catalpa

You may reduce much of the clutter.

Thunderbird (you are using it):

select offending message.

clic the *Message* menu and select *Create Filter From Message...*

in the box that opens:

give a name to the filter (example: Noise Filter)

clic "OK" to close the box.

at the bottom of the "Message Filters" list you should find a "Run Now" button: click on it.

to close the list, click on the top-right corner "x".

To add the next offender, click on the unwanted message, then clic on the *More* menu in the Text body and select "View Source". Search for the "From:" field and select/copy the string between "" symbols. (without the < and >).

click on the *Tools* menu and select *Message Filters*

select the filter you name (i.e. Noise Filter). if it is the first time, it is the only name.

clic on *Edit*

in the "Match" field select the "Match any of the following" button.

clic on the "+" button.

paste the copied string in the added row empty field.

You won't catch the morphers, but still get rid of a large bunch of messages.

Reply to
Roberto Deboni DMIsr

IMO, a few slightly off topic posts are fine, but the sad part is the obvious inconsiderate dumbasses who only give a shit about their own self-righteous agenda. The worse part is those who respond to their attention seeking idiocy.

Reply to
Meanie

I agree many ot posts are fine. I do it myself if I think it is entertaining or useful to those we know here.

Reply to
Frank

Even if they start with a fixit project they will drift off about something else. That's the way of most conversations, they stray. I have something like 7 or 8 of the top 25 posters by quantity killfiled. One gentleman has an odd sense of humor so he is still live. A couple actually. Thunderbird is really handy if a thread gets tooooooo long.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I know you democrats want to destroy the Second Amendment, now you're going after the First too?

Reply to
Patriot

Some people only care about themselves... to hell with anyone else they say. I have a hunch they are the same ones who fail in math class (not being good at following rules or social conventions...)

Reply to
Bill

I'll bet your k-f list is the same as mine and probably most others here.

It was only recently that I learned about TB filter log and turned it on. Glanced at it a moment ago and it was clogged from that crowd.

Reply to
Frank

Not a First Amendment change, but just common courtesy to keep political stuff in political groups, religious stuff in religious groups, etc.

Perhaps you were never taught to have manners.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ah! Mabe you should watch Sir Ken explain matters to you, Bill.

It's worth watching! :-)

David B.

Oops!

That should have said *Maybe*

Sorry about that!

Have a great day. :-)

Reply to
David B.

Why would an American be using a UseNet provider that you have to pay in a foreign currency?

Russian.

Reply to
Dan Espen

+1