Cistern bung

I have renovated the downstairs loo. I kept the toilet and cistern, but changed all the bits inside the cistern.

The cistern had a bottom entry overflow, and I removed that and fitted a blanking plug. (Screwfix 552FY) It's this plug that's leaking.

The hole in the cistern is 28mm, but the thread on the blanking plug is

21mm. In the Q&A at Screwfix, they say it should work for 28mm, but as I say it's leaking.

Does anyone know where I can get a plug that will actually do the job, please?

Failing that, what's the best way to bodge this?

Reply to
GB

If its to be permanent, tape up the outside with parcel tape and apply a nice fat blob of car body filler to the inside.

Remove tape, and paint it white outside

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good bodge! Keep them coming, please.

Reply to
GB

Is the washer on the correct side?

This

suggests it's for a minimum 26mm hole but the dimensions appear to be the same as what you quote (thread 20mm).

Screwfix reviewer

" As another reviewer said, make sure you centre the plug in the hole and keep it there as you tighten the nut. There will typically be lots of free play between the plug tail and the hole in the cistern, so if you don’t keep it centred you’ll get a leak. And test it with a small amount of water before you fill the cistern. "

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks. I saw that review, and it's why I bought the plug, and sawed off the old overflow, unnecessarily. Talk about gilding the lily!

I also saw the BES plug and came to the same conclusion as you.

Reply to
GB

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:05:05 +0100, GB snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.invalid wrote: [snip]

Reminds me of the old story about the doctor who phoned the plumber at

4 am to say the toilet was blocked. The plumber replied, 'Just drop a couple of aspirins into the pan and if the problem continues, phone me again in the morning'.
Reply to
Scott

in passing: sometimes O-rings can make a small shaft fit in a larger hole and seal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks. Good idea. I am going to try something similar, namely silicon-ing the washer in place, so it's central.

If all else fails, I'll try car body filler, but if I mess that up or it's not waterproof enough it will be time for a new toilet. I'll try some of the alternatives first

Reply to
GB

Oh that definitely works too. If you can stabilise things while it sets silcone makes a super gasket

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can buy a larger blanking plug.

SteveW

And I can assure you that *provided the ceramic is dry* car body filler sticks like shit and is 100% waterproof.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When I had to fit a tap that fitted like a prick in a bucket I made a collar from some plastic pipe. It wasn't big enough to go all the way round but, at about 7/8 of the circumference was adequate. If you have some pipe that's a bit too big but about the right wall thickness, cut a section out and, using heat if necessary, cludge it to fit. Should take up most of the slop.

Reply to
PeterC