Global warming?

...or *something*!

Even in So. Calif coastal, where it's usually mild, we're not having much winter. Garden things are happening out of season.

For example, the leaves haven't even finished falling off my Wisteria, when a few blooms already appear.

And my Cape Jasmine is flowering up a storm, way ahead of time.

I usually prune roses late January, so went ahead and did it, but had to remove a lot of lovely, lush new foliage.

Any other "early" stories out there?

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Lost three roses last year (mid-Northern Ontario) because we had an early spring thaw February/March that lasted three weeks - just long enough to persuade the roses it was time to start setting buds. Then we had what used to be normal March weather, a couple of weeks of around -5 to -10C overnight, with mostly below freezing days, too.

The really scary thing about climate change is that the models predict that a climate flip or turnover sould happpen in less than a century. That is, some reasonable sets of inputs into the models predict very rapid climate changes, others sets (only slightly different) predict slow changes. But we don't know enough about the present climate to be able to say which sets of input assumptions reflect reality. So we're stuck with guessing. We could have a mostly tropical planet by 2100. But the ecosystems can't adapt that fast. So ---

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Hay, I'm in S.Calf. and winter has ben long and cold and dry up in the high mojave desert and only my iris are sending up any new fans, everything else is still very much asleep.

Reply to
Starlord

Upstate NY, zone 5:

My composter was frozen solid in early December, and full to the top. Now, it's defrosted, and volume has reduced by half. I've never seen this happen by January. Parsley's growing again, and a few crocuses have sent up sprouts. They'll survive when frost returns, but I'm worried about some of the perennials.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Here in W Pa the temperature is 60 and has been exceptionally warm mos of the winter. We consider this a plus and count the days until Marc when the temperatures won't go below 25. Although global warming my b responsible for this warming trend. Global warming is a very seriou happening and is not considered important by most governments, as the are only concerned with big business and not changing their way o polluting. Money talks, unfortunately

-- golddog

Reply to
golddog

Yeah, they remind me of the ol; Ostrich...head-in-the-sand...Here in the wilds of WA. State, several Robins showed up last Tuesday. I have never before seen them here this early. It's usually near the end of February before they show up!

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Wild Bill

The message from golddog contains these words:

Global warming is a very serious

Maybe you should check out something called the KYOTO treaty.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Janet, I amend my comments to include governments not taking globa warming important to the US, Russia, China, and India. Although believe Russia has signed on to the treaty, it will be decades befor they make much difference in their polluting

-- golddog

Reply to
golddog

Global warming will actually make winters colder. Rising temperatures will melt the ice caps, releasing fresh water into the ocean. This will decrease the strength of the gulf stream, which is what brings warm air from the equator up to the northern hemisphere during the winter. New England and Europe are going to be hardest hit. In general, global warming makes everything more extreme.

Here in Philadelphia, December was fairly cold, but this January, temperatures have often been in the 50s, and it seems to make it to 60 once a week. My tulips and daffodils have already started coming up.

Reply to
Thornhill

The concept of buying & selling pollution credits pretty much trumps any pretty ideas everyone (except us) agreed to in that treaty.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The message from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

That's the US-govt fake excuse designed to justify their ostrich stance to Americans. Taken from from the same dusty-irrational-make-believe-justification shelf as " Saddam Hussein had it coming because he was responsible for 9/11."

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Saddam *was* responsible for 9/11. A squirrel told me about it.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

To set the record straight, Saddam was not responsible for 9/11. N matter what Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, and Rush Limbaugh say

-- golddog

Reply to
golddog

Janet wrote.

Ha I heard about it from a monkey..........

Reply to
mleblanca

I love gardening too and have to laugh sometimes at the unscientific posts that occur here at times. Some type of "global warming" caused the last great ice age to recede too. How the heck did that happen? AND was it a bad thing?

Reply to
djay

Reply to
presley

The message from golddog contains these words:

Ohmigard, are you SURE? Has anyone told the President?

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Was it a nookular monkey? :)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It wouldn't be such a concern if the 'warming' (melting) isn't takin place in the short time frame. Actually the Industrial Revolution' emergence and the large melting coincide. Ask the two right win Senators from Alaska what they think of global warming. They have front row seat. To ask for more proof is not fair, as virtually al scientists agree on this one. Plus Google will turn up vast amounts o data to confirm

-- golddog

Reply to
golddog

There's nothing unscientific about this. Lots of studies have been done.

I'm not talking about another ice age, just weather patterns in the northern hemisphere. The summers, like the rest of the world, will be incredibly hot, but a weakened Gulf Stream will result in colder winters.

Reply to
Thornhill