OT: The value of Ethanol

Do know that the stuff sold to you and I is denatured with something which forms an azeotrope with EtOH, and can't be distilled away differentially. Rather suspect that gasoline denaturing would be some sort of a loophole method easily reversed.

Reply to
George

Now why would the hop harvests be down? Surely they don't use hops for alcohol manufacturing would they?

Just asking.

Reading might have done it for you.

Reply to
George

I think you missed the bit that I extracted in the above paragraph. They're growing corn instead of hops.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

George wrote: ...

That's at the retail pump though where the blending has occurred. (Or, are you talking about on-the-shelf sales, maybe, not fuel just occurred to me? That, certainly is so, but that's a completely different market/distribution stream.)

I'll ask Nick what they ship from their facility...

--

Reply to
dpb

They're ripping up hop fields and replacing them with corn....

Reply to
Jeff

"Oh the humanity!!!" :-}In

To tell you the truth, I never even knew there such things as 'hop fields'. Then again, there must be such a thing. Just never thought about it.

Reply to
Robatoy

were

Reply to
Robatoy

FWIW, one of the main streets in Simsbury, CT is "Hopmeadow Street". There's a state park named "Devil's Hopyard" ("Devil" is apparently a corruption of "Dibble" who according to legend was the owner of the hopyard in question). Not really grown in "fields" though, it's a flowering vine that is grown on trellises or arbors. As a matter of trivia, it's scientific name is "humulus lupulus". It has a close relative, "humulus cannabis sativa".

Reply to
J. Clarke

When we were very young boys, the father of a friend of mine once suggested to his son that if milk came from a contented cow, then beer must come from a discontented horse.

Obviously an attempt to delay his venture into the land of suds.

IMHO, Bud, Coors and Miller have no problem being clasified as products that come from discontented horses.

They certainly don't qualify as beer.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Robatoy wrote: ...

And, unfortunately, it's that same level of awareness that is about that of the "pontificators and thinkers" of the Washington Post, etc., that attempt to influence farm policy... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

A 42 gallon barrel of crude will yield approx 44 gallons of product.

Where do the extra two gallons come from?

Reply to
efgh

Absolutley, and the shortage of hops is much greater in certain countries in Europe where the subsidies for growing biofuel materials are greater and have been in place longer. Read an article recently about the price of good German beer to increase by 25% because of the hop shortage.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

It is a volumetric expansion. kinda like popcorn or a small block of sugar becoming a giant puff of candy-cotton. I sort of understand it that way. More compact molecules are altered to become larger. The weight does not increase AFAICT.

Go ahead, laugh!

Reply to
Robatoy

... But "product" ain't all gasoline by any stretch...

some info, I'm sure the API and DOE sites as well as the other government labs and the oil companies themselves will have as much as you wish to delve into.

It will vary from essentially none to maybe as much as 65% depending on the source of the crude and the processing. Overall, I'd be surprised if it were much over 50% although I did no exhaustive searching.

Reply to
dpb

No such thing as humulus cannabis sativa or humulus cannabis indica even. Humulus is a subspecies of Cannabaceae as cannabis is also a subspecies (and another 170 or so)

So... that's

-1 on Chemistry

-1 on Israel

-1 on Botany

Next!

Reply to
Robatoy

Most certainly not. I already stated elsewhere in this thread that a decent, sweet crude can yield 40% gasoline, through basic distillation and some other cracking methods. The rest is LPG's and even asphalt. Industrial fuels like Bunker C etc. and a whole lot more crap.

Reply to
Robatoy

But can you use it to brew beer? Huh, can you? Can you?

Reply to
Dave in Houston

As chance would have it, this from today's NY Times.

Dave in Houston

NY Times? Mexican food??? Are you *sure* you're from Houston ;-)

Reply to
Jeff

As *you* are the one making the ridiculous claim it is up to you to provide supporting evidence. It appears that you have a mind like a steel trap... rusted shut. Art

Reply to
Artemus