Global warming and your garden

WARMING CLIMATE IS CHANGING LIFE ON GLOBAL SCALE, SAYS NEW STUDY A vast array of physical and biological systems across the earth are being affected by warming temperatures caused by humans, says a new analysis of information not previously assembled all in one spot. The effects on living things include ****earlier leafing of trees and plants ****over many regions; movements of species to higher latitudes and altitudes in the northern hemisphere; changes in bird migrations in Europe, North America and Australia; and shifting of the oceans' plankton and fish from cold- to warm-adapted communities.

-- full story >

NG members notice "earlier leafing of trees and plants"? I realize it's a very short time scale...but...

Inquiring minds...

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

We are about 10 days behind normal in Southern NH.

If you have any extra global warming, please send it our way. Email will be fine.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

We seem to be having a cooler spring. Leaves out pretty much as usual.

Look at this for weather history going back to 1945 for your area.

Enjoy!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On the Paul James gardening show this last weekend he was talking about gardening in the cities. He said that some cities have a growing zone as much as one climate zone warmer. This is because of Urban Heat Island effect (UHI).

I would be cautious about thinking of or planning a garden depending on the supposed "global warming" for every area of the United States or the world. For example, there has been significant crop loss for the wine industry this spring in France and parts of California because of cold snaps in the early spring.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

Leafing, I don't know but I have tomatoes flowering, and that is very strange on the north side of this hill.

Reply to
Billy

No, I live in TN and this is one of the coolest darkest springs we've had in years. This morning it was 58F and the heat was coming up. We never needed heat here after May 1st before.

Reply to
Katey Didd

Reply to
tstovall

Give it five days. Just about the time you dry out. That's fortunate because otherwise you'd have mold;-)

Reply to
Billy

Here you are John. You may have 20 degrees of our 103 allotment for today

oooooooooo oooooooooo

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

You can have some of my 101F too, ay caramba. Es demasiado caliente aqui. "All" of the Golden Bantam corn came up today, bam. One of nine peanuts stuck it's head up as well.

Reply to
Billy

We wont know anything for another 1000 years, then there will be to many people. It will all work itself out.

Reply to
aluckyguess

Sounds like the evacuation and recovery plan for New Orleans:o(

Reply to
Billy

Ay, yi, yi. Kick ass day in the garden. The following, officially joined the garden today, two peanuts, 6 green beans, 9 sunflowers,

16 Dent corn (Yellow Daddy or some such), 16 Golden Bantam, and 6 tromboncini, a.k.a. zuchetta (kind of a vining zuch, tastes a little like artichoke). Not that bad for a day of heat.

Last year was a pitiful year in my garden. There were three day when the temperature was at or over a hundred. The year before was a great year for me and there were 12 days at or over one hundred.

The plants like the heat, but after a day of piddling around in the garden, I smell like a tired horse.

Reply to
Billy

1000 years! You gotta be kidding! Manifestations all over the world as we speak. The tipping point is less than a decade away.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Billy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.conne ct.net.au:

how far apart are you planting the dent & sweet corn? you don't save corn seed do you? lee

Reply to
enigma

Remember that you said that when the glacier rolls over your house.

Reply to
J. Clarke
[...]
[...]

The real shocker is that the pollution generated by China's coal burning plants crosses the Pacific and has been reliably detected on the U.S. West Coast for quite some time now!!!

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Maybe we should tell the EPA. hey just listed the polar bear as an endangered species because of polar warming. Actually, glaciers should be on the same list. Glaciers are fast disappearing which is bas news because instead of reflecting sunlight back into space, when the glacier is gone the sunlight (heat) gets absorbed by the planet and accelerates the heating.

Reply to
Billy

As well as the crap they are putting into the ocean. The are the biggest polluters of the ocean in the entire world.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

From what I read lately we should be more worried about global cooling.

Reply to