Global warming and your garden

Many kids and their parents are interested. Our Native Plant Society has a " wildflower show" every other year. We always have a native teas and edible plant display. It is always very popular and kids are fascinated with the idea. One member, a retired biology prof has Indian Useful and Edible plant walks that are very well attended by

40-50 people including kids. The problem is the teachers can't take time to teach it......they're too busy teaching and giving those mandatory tests associated with that "no child left behind" silliness. No time for the things that make kids WANT to learn. Emilie
Reply to
mleblanca

We're having another spring that's three weeks late, so far. We've been keeping weather records and recording migratory bird arrivals, the date the ice goes out on the lakes and creeks here, leaf-out on trees, various plant indicators and soil temps, etc. for 60 years. Last year and this year are the coldest springs since 1959 and 1964. Those were bad ones, too. The snow went off my garden beds yesterday. Normal ice out on our lake is May 15. We still have 100% ice coverage. Etc.

Jan in Alaska

Reply to
Jan Flora

mleblanca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i76g2000hsf.googlegr oups.com:

which is why my child goes to a Montessori school. i'm all for the child-led learning, advance at your own speed thing (my 7.5 year old is doing division & adding & subtracting fraction, which is 4th grade material in our local public school) lee

Reply to
enigma

William Shatner pretty well summed it up on a CNN show. He said the vast majority of our problems are due to the planet's overpopulation, including global warming. He also commented on Congress demanding vehicles get 35 mpg or better by 2012. He said 55 mpg is more appropriate. I'm in agreement because economy vehicles made 20 years ago were getting around 35 mpg.

Reply to
Dioclese

Either way, the food supply is at risk... We live in a very precarious world for climate to support plants we live on.

Reply to
Dioclese

I don't think we should have any public schools at all. I think people who have children should be the ones who pay for school. I'm pretty sick of forking over 3,000 dollars a year to school tax so they can build a better football stadium. In Texas, highschool football is on the local news. They also teach to the test. My nieces are two of the dumbest, dullards I know.

Reply to
Jangchub

Just don't try setting any examples by tying your horse to one of the bollards in front of the grocery store.

Ah, a world without oil. Just look around in your or almost anyone else's home, its plastic. A widely overlooked thing is the insulation on cables and wires. Another overlooked example is in alot of cases, the feedwater outside of the home and all wastewater pipe is plastic. Yes, there's other substitutes requiring other natural resources. But, not enough to suit the numbers required today, let alone tomorrow.

Reply to
Dioclese

Yeah, only the rich should get an edjumacation. Then all us poor folk can mow your lawns.

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

i agree that *far* too much is wasted on sports like football & baseball that only benefits a few students (school spirit my ass). if parents want their kid in sports, they should be the ones that pay. the taxes should only go for academics & arts. i pay for my son's education, but i also pay school taxes for those who can't afford private school. i just resent paying for stupid things like football uniforms (especially when the girl's teams have to hold fundraisers to get their equipment!). lee

Reply to
enigma

The one that worries me the most (along with the terminator gene) is the gene that would have corn grow plastic.

Billy

Mother nature does not care about man...

She's a bitch that way.

Reply to
Omelet

Or have the parents take the time to do some of it! I learned my survival stuff from mom and dad, and church camp.

Not in school...

Reply to
Omelet

Yeah. Why is mileage getting WORSE instead of better? I'm loath to buy into conspiracy theory, but this one has me following it.

Reply to
Omelet

Soylent Green anyone?

Reply to
Omelet

JC, you're scattering your discontent among several subjects. If you don't like how your tax money is being spent in the education area, get after your local officials. Also protest to the Bush administration re: "No Child Left Behind", which has yielded the result you rightly protest -- teaching to the test. (Incidentally, Bush stole the slogan from Marion Wright Edelman's legitimate child advocacy group, the Children's Defense Fund.)

Below is a well-expressed counter-argument I found on another NG where a similar discussion was in progress. Since we're into an OT debate about education and taxes (I think that's what it's about?) maybe this POV would interest JC.

Persephone

-------

"You know, I see this all the time. You figure "my ox isn't being gored, so why should I pay taxes?" Hint: No man is an island. You are part of the greater society, unless you opt out and go to live on a desert island somewhere. (and don't expect to be rescued if in trouble).

You need good schools to turn out well-educated citizens whether or not you have kids in school. What they do as youth and as adults DIRECTLY affects you. You also need for all mothers to have good pre-natal care and good infant care, meaning proper nutrition and medical care so the children will grow up to be good citizens.

You also need clean streets, electricity maintenance, working traffic signals, disaster response, pure food & water, etc.etc. ***and people who know how to run these societal functions.***

Looking narrowly at a fictive bottom line misses the longer-term. As Ben Franklin famously said: "Either we all hang together or we will assuredly hang separately."

"Apres moi le deluge" is no longer operative."

Reply to
Persephone

Who said anything about humanity? I'm thinking about life and the many paths that nature has taken to express it and assure its' survival. It took a billion years for the first nutrient sea to develop. Hopefully, next time recovery will start sooner.

Reply to
Billy

Oh I doubt that ALL life will be wiped out?

At the very least, the cockroaches shall survive...

;-}

Reply to
Omelet

Billy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.conne ct.net.au:

and i was bored silly. i was reading before i was three, & reading my father's Master's textbooks by the time i was 4. my parents got the NY school system to accept me for Kindergarten when i was 4. in NY, i was pretty much allowed to read what i wanted when the other kids were learning, but when we moved to MA when i was in 2nd grade things went bad fast. that school allowed no variation from the norm. i was punished for writing cursive, for reading anything but the baby texts, for working ahead in the math book. when my teacher took my copy of Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End away for being inappropriate & even refused to return it to my mother (mom bought me a new copy), i'd gave up on school. at age 6 i told that teacher i didn't need school & i didn't need her. i could learn & do anything i wanted and she couldn't stop me. that didn't go over well... :) i fought the school system from then on & i vowed i'd never subject a child of mine to that mind-numbing, stifling blandness. schools have only become worse since i attended. lee

Reply to
enigma

Any chance anyone knows the teacher of the year from New York city that touched on similar themes. I'd guess 1975 +- 5. There is a wonderful paper about but I am at a loss to find it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I thought the argument was that team sports generated cash flows that benefited everyone. They are money makers at colleges and universities. Kids do need P.E. but four times around the track isn't very interesting. Primary school is where kids should be exposed to P.E., music, and art in order to broaden their learning.

Multiple intelligences is an educational theory, first developed by Howard Gardner, that describes an array of different kinds of "intelligences" exhibited by human beings. Gardner suggests that each individual manifests varying levels of these different intelligences, and thus each person has a unique "cognitive profile."

original seven types of intelligences are Language, Spatial, Logic/Math, Bodily-Kinesthetic, Musical, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal. To educate an individual, it is important that they be exposed to all forms of learning. As opposed to memorizing for a particular test, or as educators refer to it,"drill and kill". As in, kill any interest in learning.

Reply to
Billy