O/T: Warm Enough

Page 8 of 9
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:18:00 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Well Lew if you put a cork in your ass to stop methane emissions....
Mark
On 7/1/2012 4:45 PM, Markem wrote:

Nope they cant do that, it has been studied and found to cause cancer.
On 6/30/2012 9:18 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Got Netflix?
Bring up a copy of "Windfall" and watch it. A small town in upstate NY wrestling with the fallout from wind turbines and the resultant political, health, government and corporate greed issues.
Ironic thing is that to a man, the opponents are all admitted liberals/progressives who vocally support "alternative energy" ... that is, until they experienced first hand exactly what that concept really brings in human costs.
Much more than a NIMBY presentation, it should be required viewing BEFORE anyone runs their mouth on these issue without being fully informed of the human, economic and social costs these programs entail ... including the enormous increase in greenhouse gas emission from the collateral technologies required to run them.
Inform yourself, first ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

---------------- Nope. -----------------
<snip> --------------------------------- Who funded the study?
Oil? Coal? Other?
Lew
On 7/1/2012 9:11 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Who said anything about a "study"??
... could that possibly be part of the problem? That folks simply don't take the time to read past their preconceived notions and political kneejerk reactions?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/2/2012 7:01 AM, Swingman wrote:

That is exactly why people believe in global warming, they believe what the KoolAid distributors are telling them and that is gospel cause it was on TV.
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:18:00 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

I don't have an argument against greenhouse gases affecting global climate. But I believe the wildfires are as much to do with poor forest management (suppressing files for 100 years has built up a huge backlog of combustible material) than the warmer climate.
"Jim Weisgram" wrote:

------------------------------------ An even bigger problem is the pine bark beetle which have killed massive amounts of trees, especially here in SoCal.
Once dead, fires can't be far behind.
Lew
On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 22:23:43 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

There is a credible theory (not proof) that the recent milder winters, allows the bark beetle larvae to survive in greater numbers over the winter. Then the trees, stressed by drought, are more susceptible to damage from the beetles than they normally would be.
Presumably the milder winters are a result of global warming due to greenhouse gases. However in this forum the "due to" part isn't likely to be accepted. So be it.

Agreed! Moreover, it is amazing how much more accurate short term weather forecasts are then even a few years ago (now good, most of the time for 4-5 days). Even long-term forecasts (winterstorms) were pretty good last winter. Can't be due to only faster bigger computers, but must also be because of better models.
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/3/2012 2:52 PM, Han wrote:

+1
:)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Thanks, Mike! But I think others have said that too. Just google "progress in accuracy of weather forecasts"
--
Best regards
Han
Leon wrote:

It's all about what you're used to.
Snow in Houston is a source of much amusement: Schools and businesses shut down, the freeways are closed, citizens stock up on strawberry PopTarts and beer, church pews get crowded, families gather in the den and proclaim how much they love each other...
Conversely, when a hurricane enters the Gulf, visitors from northern climes look down and say "Feet! Make tracks!" while natives universally exclaim: "Party Time!"
Until you've seen a metal trash can (lawn chair, dog, etc.) sailing down the street at 70 miles per hour...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gpM5mwX1yk&feature=player_embedded

Hell, that's no different than Alabama and snow is a lot more common (once or twice a year for the last three). In AL, they shut down on the forecast of snow. It's no wonder, seeing how people drive when it gets just a little slick.

You betcha! I'm a few hundred miles inland, though if I were on the coast I'd be gone.

I've seen that in Yankeeland. The recent storms in the Midwest to DC had that sort of action.
On 7/4/2012 6:54 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Yeah those that have been through a rough hurricane don't say Party Time, the strong storm is serious business. It is mostly those that have been watching so-n-so Cantori on TWC and that are new to the coast that say Party Time. A lawn chair going down the street at 70 mph is really something you do not see unless it is a normal storm that just popped up. It is not unusual to see a U-Haul trailer going through the air, not on the ground, during a strong hurricane. The trailer I saw in Corpus Christi in the early 70's ended up half in and half out of a garage roof.
Think of a hundred tornadoes in the immediate vicinity and lasting 10~24 hours.

On 7/2/2012 4:02 PM, CW wrote:

Utah's got a dozen fire going, most of them fueled by grasses and other small plants that grew in abundance during last year when precipitation was high and temperatures mild, that turned into tinderboxes this year when precipitation was low and temperatures high. Some of them were ignited by lightning, others by human stupidity. I'm just saying that's not the result of forest mismanagement. All of which has nothing to do with nonexistent man-made climate change.
On 7/2/2012 7:48 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

Looooooooooooooooooooong before there was any type of forest management there was "no forest management". There have always been wild fires.

Fires *were* the forest management. Some species of trees (feeble attempt at bringing the discussion on topic ;) require fires to propagate.