Mistakes or sloppy work

But most people know if there is a history of alcoholism in their families and can tell if they are a high risk candidate. In the end, it's still personal responsibility and far too few have any interest in taking it.

Wouldn't happen to know a single _positive_ outcome from ethanol consumption, would you? All I've ever experienced are negatives.
Clarke would make up something.

Drinking's good for your heart. A pathologist friend of mine once told me "You never, EVER see coronary artery disease in alcoholics -- open up a 75-year-old alcholic, and his heart looks like a teenager's. The liver, on the other hand..."
--
Regards,

Sort of a cholesterol transplant?
The croakers I've picked up must have all had electrical problems, I guess.

No cholesterol in the liver either -- but lots of cirrhosis, he says.

(?)
--
Regards,

"Fatty Liver" is the physiological term. Can happen in non-drinkers, but almost obligatory in alcoholics. http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic99.htm
Two major causes of cardiac death are infarcts, caused by plaques or emboli and arrhythmias, which are electrical.
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:32:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

From a medical perspective heavy drinking is defined as more than two drinks a day. Consumption at that level for a decade or two will, in most cases, result in some degree of cardiomyopathy.
After arteriosclerosis, the leading cause of cardiomyopathy is alcohol consumption.
Cheers, J
    Greetings and Salutations....     Misc remarks interspersed.

    While true enough, as has been pointed out elsewhere, if there is a history of alcoholism in the past couple or three generations, then, YOU are at risk. In a more GENERAL area, folks fall into two catagories. Some folks HAVE an addictive personality, and some dont. If one has an addictive personality, there is a greater than average chance that getting into alcohol will mean a monkey on the back...and not just a good drink with dinner. here is a link to ONE test online that seems to cover it pretty well. http://www.lifetimetv.com/reallife/health/quiz/health_quiz_addict.html     Don't worry that is is focused towards women. The fact of the matter is that it works for males too.

    Very true. We have thousands of years of proving that legislating morality is always going to be a failure. Far better that we who are parents make a point to train the kids that alcohol, in MODERATION, is an ok thing for adults...but excess is bad all around.

    Well, that is true enough, although if one is sufficiently depressed, or is sufficiently self-destructive, it is VERY easy for an alcoholic to take that first drink, and, once one is truly caught up in the nightmore, it tends to erode what strength of will that is left and makes it far harder to NOT take that first drink.

    Well, actually, there are multiple studies (some by fairly reputable organizations) that show that the moderate use of alcohol can, indeed, have benefits in one's life. For example, I find that there are times when a small (12 oz or smaller) glass of wine before bed will make it much easier for me to get to sleep, and, I sleep sounder and more restfully once I do get to sleep. I also have to say that there are a number of meals where the interesting combination of flavors and the cleaning power of the alcohol adds quite a bit to the enjoyment of the meal.     Alcoholic beverages are not the problem. Abuse and overuse of them IS the problem. Drink in moderation, all is fine. Get roaring drunk - That IS a problem.     Regards and best wishes for a Merry Christmas     Dave Mundt
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 06:10:35 GMT, Brian Henderson

All right guys- I'm no fan of WalMart, but they're *not* paying minimum wage. Around here, the stockers get something on the order of $9 an hour. While that's still crappy pay, it's close to double the minimum wage, and higher than unskilled factory work in the area.
Of course the job sucks- just like any other job that requires nothing more than a pulse.

You've got a real point there. I've met dozens of people over the years who I've seen fired from real jobs because they were not only unable to do the job, but also unwilling to show up every day and at least make an attempt to learn. Almost invariably, I end up seeing those folks later on- stacking boxes at the WalMart when I need to get something late at night and everything else is closed. Better that they have that to occupy their time, instead of being out robbing liquor stores.
And being skilled labor doesn't guarantee health care, either. Most job shops with less than fifteen employees (and some larger ones as well) don't offer it either. If the government would stop giving people free health coverage because they're lazy, we might see the premiums go down a bit. I have seen, time after time, with no hyperbole- that the laziest and least useful people (usually the ones with government sponsored health care) are the first to run to the doctor for even the most minor of injuries or percieved ailments. The doctors' billing desks know that they can get cash out of Medicare and it's analogs, and they charge accordingly- it runs up the cost for everyone.
Now, that's not to say that everyone that works in a WalMart is an ignorant and/or useless person- of course some of them are not. That's true anywhere. What I'm saying is that they are providing a whole lot of people who cannot or will not do even the most modest things to better themselves with an income.
You're working in the wrong area. They all do here. I once worked in a place where I was the Boss's one employee. Paid full benefits.

They all do there? Not likely. Your personal example doesn't necessarily reflect upon every employer.
In my line of work, that is the case (and that of Prometheus, who I was addressing). It is not the low skilled, low pay crap you are talking about.

Well, I'm planning on changing that sometime in the not-too-distant future. In my neck of the woods, you're lucky if you can get health insurance anywhere besides going to Blue Cross and signing yourself up. The places that do provide it do so with very high price tags to the employee (often higher than just going directly to an insurance company)

Health insurance is very expensive in any case. Our plan at work cost the company $400 for a single, $650 for a single plus one, $1000 for a family. Employee contribution, if any, varies depending on a few factors, but no matter how you cut it, the overall cost is high. Not every employer can afford to give it away, especially for part time employees. The employer, of course, it not paying the bill anyway, but factoring it in to his overhead and passing it on to customers. If every burger flipper gets the single plan, what does that add to the cost of a McMeal?

Whew- monthly or weekly?
Maybe I get a better deal than I thought. Work charges $78 a week ($312 a month) for single, Blue Cross charges $300 a month for single plus one.

?
That is monthly. The plans I listed have a $1000 deductible, but the company picks up the deductible. To get a plan with no deductible, the rates are considerably higher and not everyone needs or uses it so the total cost is less this way. I'm fortunate that I don't have to pay for any of it, only my prescription deductibles that range from $10 (about 95% of them) to $50.
That is illegal and wrong and should and was prosecuted. If my company became so large I assume some asshole managers looking to make a better bottom line might try crap like that too. I wouldn't stand for it and I don't hear any Walmart executive standing up for it.
Our great country is great because we have and enforce laws. Take Pakistan or Malaysia where that crap furniture is being made in a forced labor factory, under government control and approval, using old toxic motor oil to stain the furniture and then talk about how Walmart is complicite by buying from them, and then maybe I'll agree.
Nova wrote:

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I think it more than one or two managers:
"Wal-Mart has known for years of a massive companywide problem of fair labor standards violations but did not take sufficient steps to address the problem. An internal Wal-Mart audit of one week of time records in 2000 from 25,000 employees had alerted Wal-Mart officials to potential violations. The audit found 60,767 missed breaks and 15,705 lost meal times. It also alerted Wal-Mart executives to 1,371 instances of minors working too late, during school hours, or for too many hours in a day. [Steven Greenhouse, Suits Say Wal-Mart Forces Workers to Toil Off the Clock, New York Times, A1, 6/25/02]"
http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/facts /
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

-rant on- Cheap jobs for unskilled people is one thing. Abusing them is another. If they fraternize, the get fired. They now have a demerit system, where they get demerits if they are more then 10 min late, or, God forbid, they leave to tend to a sick child. Awhile back they were offering life insurance to the employees, they (Wal-Mart) even the premium. Of course, they (Wal Mart) were the beneficiary. What about the recent lawsuit regarding hours? My wife used to work for the Red Cross. When Wal Mart made their yearly "donations" it was a pile of broken crap in truck, then they would state the retail value product as their donation. Meanwhile, the local hardware store give something nice. There is just no excuse for that.
They have 1.2 million employees. They have a responsibility, if not to pay them well, to treat them like human beings. I just know I don't need to save a buck so badly as to support a place that treats people badly enough that I wouldn't advise my kids to work there.
.I realize we can find faults with any place, but they are the biggest and the worst. Anyway the shopping experience sucks, I did go in once.
-rant off-
-Jim