Mistakes or sloppy work

Bust - Slang. a. an arrest. b. a police raid.

Notice that the articles 'an' and 'a' - those are singular in nature. There were multiple raids, at multiple locations, and multiple people were arrested.

BF, the poster who used the word numerous, wrote: Walmart has also been busted numerous times for paying below minimum wage to illegal aliens."

245 illegal aliens were arrested and deported from those raids - that's numerous...at least in most people's definitions of the word. Numerous - adj : amounting to a large indefinite number; "numerous times"; "the family was numerous"

I'm kind of surprised that you've gotten so hung up on a word. I would think that you would have more to offer than simply asking for citations, references and definitions. Information on Walmart's practices is readily available on the net if you care to look. Of course if your mind is already made up, that's unnecessary. Facts might muddy the waters of your clear thinking.

RicodJour

>>> That's busted once and according to that source most of the "illegal

Yep.

If someone is willing to let himself be unlawfully detained he deserves what happens to him.

I had a car salesman pull something like that on me--locked me in his office while he went to "try to negotiate a better price". He stained his pants when he came back and found me sitting in his chair and my buddy Sam Colt sitting on his desk.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The facts are certainly not doing a whole lot for your spin. ;)

Cite one case where Wal-mart had illegals on their payroll.

Reply to
Locutus

Notice that you have not stated from what source you took this definition.

The statement that there were "numerous busts" implies that Wal-Mart was busted, taken to court, found guilty or innocent as the case may be, continued the practice, was busted again, continued the practice, was busted again, etc, numerous times. That is not what happened, what happened was that they were raided, in many locations, as part of a single unified police operation that led to a single trial and a single ruling.

It's not a matter of "being hung up on a word", it's a matter of not letting you get away with a misleading accusation.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No more than McDonalds is or babysitting jobs are or any other minimum wage, no benefit job is. These people don't DESERVE benefits. You don't get free health care for breathing, you have to work hard and EARN the right.

The fact that these people have no education and no skills and half of them have 6 kids by 6 fathers by the time they're 24 because nobody ever taught them to be responsible isn't Walmart's problem. Hell, without Walmart, these people would be on welfare and completely living off the public dole.

Try again.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Exactly. I have a friend who is a manager for Pier One in Washington and she says they're having a heck of a time because most people are saying screw it, they can buy the same quality furniture at 1/2 the price at Walmart and other discounters, why bother going to Pier One?

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Yes, the one case I can think of was their subcontracted maintenance service, it was the job of the company they hired to check the immigration status of their workers, not Walmart's job to make sure they did. I'm certain Walmart has been busted, and rightfully so, for labor violations and they deserve to be fined just like anyone else for it, but the Walmart-whiners will really go to any length to lie about Walmart, just to say "see, I told you so."

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Nor is it your problem if they are, at least not legally. You have no obligation, or even a legal ability to question their legal status. That's the job of the owners of the company you contract with, not yours.

And it's not Walmart's either.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Exactly. And in addition to the above, people need to start being more responsible for themselves in general. All of the above isn't going to make a damn difference if you're on drugs, have a half-dozen illegitimate children, etc. At that point, you're pretty well screwed, but you did it to yourself. Actions have consequences, period.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Sheesh. You must be kidding me.

paragraph that starts with "On Oct. 23,..."

And if you like the bizarre:

takes the cake, though:
how long it takes Walmart to pay off a $11 million dollar fine?

16 hours of sales. Wow. Boy, I bet that taught them a lesson.

Inspector General began an investigation after Wal-Mart was fined $135,540 for child labor law violations in what critics called a "sweetheart deal." The settlement also required the department to provide 15 days of notice to Wal-Mart's headquarters before inspecting any store." Well, hell, I'd love that too. I wonder if I could get OSHA to announce their visits two weeks in advance? That $135K fine was paid by 15 seconds of sales by Walmart.

This stuff should piss you off. It makes me wonder why it doesn't.

And stop making me do your homework for you. That's not what I'm here for. There's plenty of information on Walmart's practices if you want to learn as opposed to just having an uniformed opinion.

J. Clarke stated in one of his earliest posts on this topic that he was no fan of Walmart. I get the feeling that you are a big fan. That's all fine and dandy. There's a lot of good in the company, and they've certainly dragged retailing into the 21st century. But there's no need to defend the bad things about someone/something you like. That's loyal, for sure, but it's also stupid. I don't think you're a stupid guy.

You must know that your _opinion_ carries weight. You don't have to picket outside of the store to make your voice heard. Just let people know what a particular company is doing right and what a company is doing wrong. Negative publicity will affect their bottom line, and in the corporate world, that's the only thing that they hear.

RicodJour

Do you want me to spoon feed you, too?

You're reading impaired, aren't you? Dyslexic? Having a senior moment

- repeatedly? The raids took place over a period of years. Just drop it, okay?

There is nothing misleading in saying that Walmart has exhibited a pattern of maximizing profits by squeezing everyone and everything to make a buck. Some of the squeezing took place by locking people in stores, not paying overtime, hiring companies to distance themselves from hiring illegal aliens when there are documents and recorded conversations proving they knew of the illegals, having minors operating machinery and violating child labor laws, I'm getting bored, you?

R R
Reply to
RicodJour

I'm sorry, did you say something? I couldn't hear it though all of the bile spewing out of you.

RicodJour

I have absolutely no problem with Wal-Mart driving businesses out of the "cheap crap"market.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hopefully the tire repair was done better :)

Reply to
Eugene

Yeah! And child labor laws should be repealed, too, since they prevent childern from working hard and earning their health care.

Reply to
lwasserm

Well, I'm planning on changing that sometime in the not-too-distant future. In my neck of the woods, you're lucky if you can get health insurance anywhere besides going to Blue Cross and signing yourself up. The places that do provide it do so with very high price tags to the employee (often higher than just going directly to an insurance company)

Reply to
Prometheus

Damn, Larry- So have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Nobody was talking about kids. There are all sorts of adult land carp taking up space in the world, and I don't know that I want to work so that they can have free health care when their livers fail after 30 or

40 years of hard drinking, or after they get knifed in a scuffle. I don't mind a little of my earnings going to help their kids, but only if those kids are moved into a better situation.

A person has to accept the responsibility to look out for themselves if they accept the freedom to act like an asshole. If they don't do that, all the money and goodwill in the world can't help them. Children and handicapped people (and I mean *real* handicapped people- not hypochondriacs and drug addicts) are exceptions to the general rule- but only because they *can't* make the choices they need to make. Able-bodied adults who don't make the right choices simply

*won't*.
Reply to
Prometheus

I can't argue with any of that. I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of people feel the way you do. I'd take it a step further and require all criminal penalties and jail time incorporate substantial public service and/or work. The amount of work performed would contribute towards shortening the time served. Instill habits of hard work and productive efforts.

The part about your not minding if a little of your money went to help people out is also a commonly held viewpoint. That's one of the issues I have with Walmart. They keep their costs down and let the government take up the slack, other companies take the risks, other countries violate the law, for them. One of the largest companies in the world gets fines that would make a slap on the wrist look like the death penalty. Something's wrong there.

RicodJour

I don't either. Read the book "The Tipping Point" by Gladstone if you haven't already. One of his points is that it's not a race to the bottom.

RicodJour