Is this a new one?

Page 2 of 2

Amen...preachin' to the choir there.

True as well, but you gotta know that people are still running Win9x out there with little or no patching :) Better safe then sorry.
Rob
http://forums.amateurtermite.com
"Rob Walters" wrote in message

Yeah, you're right about that. My mother (82) is still running Win 3.11, and reluctantly upgraded to that. She plays solitaire, types the preachers sermon for him on Monday, and flatly refuses to budge off of it .. claims new computers are too fast and make her head hurt with everything that is going on ... she has a point.
Course, it might be more secure considering there was probably a better class of programming _way_ back then. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

I am not opening that sucker to find out, but I was more interested in whether or not the delivery system was getting newer emphasis. In the past few weeks, I've had supposedly bounced mail show up in my machine at least 30 times. Two were emails I'd addressed incorrectly. The remainder were from people or places I have never heard of. Supposedly, I'm protected from these things even if I download the attachment--got one this evening that has the attachment in the body of the email, saying that's where my mis-addressed mail is stored. It can stay there, of course, but I'm beginning to feel about these people the same way I feel about the mobile boombox types around here and spammers--there should be an identifying neon sign on their foreheads and an open season.
Charlie Self "I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a nominee that will beat Bill Clinton." Dan Quayle
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

That'll defeat 99% of the rascals, and an additional .9% more if you keep your machine and browser updated with the latest security patches.

That's the latest come on ... the past few months those have increased to about 30,000 a day passing though just one mail server. For all practical purposes, our mail servers are there more for the convenience of the spammers and virus writers than the users. It's getting damned expensive in both bandwidth and time to maintain these things.

That end of the gene pool that makes for idiots, thieves and politicians keeps getting deeper to make room.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04
On 29 Apr 2004 12:43:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

One of the other things virus writers do is delve into various aspects of "social engineering" to attempt to get people to open their dreck.