looking for concave stock...

I would like to build a chip rack for a blackjack table. What I need is 1 x 1/12 square stock with 1 side ( on the 1 1/2 side) that has concave so as to accommodate a stack of chips.( that are 1 1/2 inch diameter).

Can someone tell me the name of what I am looking for...if it exists?

Thanks Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

Not sure it you can buy stock of the specific size you need, but you can purchase a router bit to cut the groove that you want. Of course, it depends on the radius of your chips, but there's a variety of sizes you can choose. Here's a few samples. If these aren't large enough, then it's a simple matter of making two parallel cuts instead of one exact cut to fit.

Upscale

Just one more point:

Make the stock thicker than needed for handling over the router (or shaper?) ...for safety. Then cut down to size on the table saw. If doing 2 or more, it's handy to do one side, turn over for the other, then saw down the middle.

Dan.

Reply to
Danny Boy

OR use a drill bit the size that you need , drill into a over size block of wood, then cut in two.

Reply to
Richard

This article might be of use: "Cutting Coves on the Tablesaw," in the January/February 2004 issue of Fine Woodworking (#168).

I'd start with wide stock, use double fences, push blocks, and very light passes. You'll want all ten when you are done :-)

Reply to
Nate Perkins

I think I have a whiteside 1 1/2" cove bit I could sell you.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Gosh Steve, What kind of router does it take to swing that bit? Does the 1 1/2" indicate the radius or diameter of the cove? :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Collet diameter

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Only sensible response so far.

Dave

TeamCasa

Or cove cut it on your tablesaw.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

diameter I think. I use a 2" in my table for the finger grooves. but I sure don't take much off (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

LOL...................

Reply to
Todd L

Well, Norm had a 1 1/2" radius ovolo bit. :-)

Some of these panel raising bits scare the p.. out of me. I can't imagine using a 3 hp power tool that's not stationary. That's why I like your jointer plane. It has hp that I'm comfortable with.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I looked I only had the 1" and the 2" i think the both are 2" around and have a

2" radius. but I use so little it is not scary at all. I will wear the thing out one of these days but only the tip will be worn (G)
Reply to
Steve Knight