How to reinforce drilled floor joists

Can someone tell me what is the correct way to reinforce some timber floor joists, that have been drilled off limits for services, as follows:

Joists are H8.6" x T1.8" The holes are round, 2" diameter One hole per joist off limits But they are close to the span end and are off-centre relative to the joist height (1" average)

If anybody knows of existing material or parts that can be used, I would appreciate it even more if a web link or company name were posted on this thread

Thanks

Reply to
peternoon

You say you have about a 1.8" x 8.6" piece of lumber that has a 2" hole in it? You don't need to do anything if you are going to use it as a floor joist.

Reply to
Robert Allison

but to answer the question,

3/4 plywood gusset 48" l>> Can someone tell me what is the correct way to reinforce some timber
Reply to
GHooper

OP-

Per Robert's comment "a 1.8" x 8.6" piece of lumber that has a 2" hole in it? "

is not in need of repair.... as long as .....

the hole is not in the middle third of the span (& its not since you state "close to the span end")

and not too close to the end of the span.......how close to the end of the span? 12"? 6"?

addtionally, if you've still got ~2" of wood from the edge of the hole to the top or bottom of the joist, you're fine

The hole is not in a zone where bending is a huge issue & you've only removed 2" of wood.

personally I think some code allowances for holes in joist are a little too generous

if you insist on a repair, I'd use 2 pieces pieces of 3/4" plywood

10" to 12" long x ~8.6" high (one each joist face; glue & staple or brad nail, 16 gage)

fwiw, I reinforced an ~ 4" x 6" oval hole in the lower corner of a

4' x 8' shear panel by gluing & stapling a plywood "doubler ring reinforcer" over the hole. The rectangluar size of the "ring" was ~ 12" x 12". Worked fine, hole & reinforcement did not fail when shear panel was cyclically tested to failure.

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

Thanks all for the feed-back.

Yes, the only worry is that the distance from the hole centre to the span end is 3.7" only

Reply to
peternoon

That is a little close but you've a lot of wood there.....

when you say 3.7" to hole center line...does that mean you've only

2.7" from the edge of the hole to end of the joist?

What's above it? What kind of bearing forces are in the joist?

New / ongoing construction or remodel?

I'd still be inclined to forget about it.....

you know, your repair really won't take much force unless you "unload" & shore the joist, install fix, let glue dry, remove shoring.

Just slapping doublers over the hole doesn't make them take any load & since you're not in earthquake country, the load the joist sees now is pretty much the load it will see forever (unless construction is ongoing)

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

vcmg had written this in response to

: This is an old discussion, but I found this on the web when I was looking for floor joist repair solutions.

Metwood has a joist reinforcer product that can actually be ordered online at their store if you input the dimensions etc.

What's great is you can use these to run utilities through the joist while re> >> but to answer the question,

Reply to
vcmg

:

The SUCKO SPAM Company SUCKS...Get back under your bridge TROLL...

Reply to
benick