Miter/corner clamps for wide stock?

I need some miter clamps for a table I'm planning. Clamps will need to hold 1.5" thick x 5" wide boards @ 45 degs. Since I will only be joining 2 such boards at a time (not 4, like a picture frame) the strap type clamps won't work. I can't seem to find anything capable of accommodating such wide stock. I saw these

more of just a precision angle bracket used with clamps, which I already have. Anyone have experience with these, or have any recommendations for other miter clamps capable of holding 5" wide stock?

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Shop made corner brackets and clamps. The strap type clamp will also work. Just put a spacer in the open end of the frame and clamp as usual.

Reply to
CW

Dan wrote: > I need some miter clamps for a table I'm planning. Clamps will need to > hold 1.5" thick x 5" wide boards @ 45 degs. Since I will only be > joining 2 such boards at a time (not 4, like a picture frame) the strap > type clamps won't work.

Use some 1/2" CDX and some 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" cleats temporially fastened to it to build a jig that will allow you to use standard bar clamps.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Is the underside going to be visible? If not clamp the two pieces face down to the workbench and use pocket screws.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I have used two methods with success. First, leave a cleat when milling, then cut it off after clamping.

is to hot glue or super glue a cleat then break it off after clamping. You could also clamp a cleat on.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Teamcasa wrote: Anyone have

Haven't tried them, but "spring miter clamps" might be an option.

Andy

What about cutting a 3rd piece from scrap with 45 degree angles on either end then use a strap clamp?

This could be made fairly easily

of my mags had a 'clamping table' a few years back. It was a piece of 3/4 sheet good with lots of holes drilled (1" maybe) evenly spaced then backed with 1/2 ply. You could then clamp thing by sticking dowels in the holes where needed and tightening things up with wedges. Similar to some of the other ideas but could be used over & over for different projects.

good luck.

Reply to
RayV