Expensive Corner Clamps

I keep seeing these corner clamps on Rockler

similar ones elsewhere. They look like a great idea but I think they are pretty pricey for what they are. I keep wondering if there is a reason why people would pay for these rather than make their own. I think it should be very easy to make 4 (really) square L shaped peices of wood. Am I missing something?

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

You could but having them hold up in use and stay square is more problematical. You'd be forever knocking the cross-grain leg off for example and wood changes its dimensions with humidity.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you think those are overpriced then check out these babies, they're triple the cost and they still don't come with clamps.

DGDevin

the Veritas are 30 bucks a _pair_.

Reply to
J. Clarke

'Pends on how their made and of what. May not remain square to the mil, but certainly can be done "good enough" for most any general woodworking.

I've got a few chunks of 3x3 angle also about that long that are close enough for anything that doesn't have to be absolutely perfect. If that doesn't suit, the welding angles are good as a reference and a little shim makes them snug. Cheap 'n cheery... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Especially considering that the ones from Rockler have only a passing acquaintance with "square".

To anyone who is considering buying the Rockler "Clamp-It", I suggest visiting a Rockler store. Take two of them out of their packages, and set them on the flattest surface you can find, such as a jointer or table saw, butted against each other like so _||_ and check for gaps. Typically, you'll see about 20 thousandths.

I once made the mistake of buying a set of four of these without checking them out first. Once I got them into the shop and checked them, I was appalled. They're advertised as "perfect 90 degree angles" but they're not even close. Depending on how I paired them up, the gaps ranged from 0.020" to 0.035", which means that they're inconsistent on top of being inaccurate. When I returned them to the store, I took a set of feeler gauges along, and checked about half a dozen others without finding any two that would produce a gap of less than 0.015".

Yes, a couple of things:

- wood flexes (although this can be mitigated somewhat with triangular gussets, solid joinery, and proper attention to grain direction)

- wood changes dimension, and therefore shape, with changes in humidity.

That said, if you have good tools properly set up, it shouldn't be too hard to make your own out of wood that are at least as close to square as the junk from Rockler.

Or you could get these

not have to worry about square ever again.

I bought a set of four at a woodworking show for $39.99 a few years ago, and I recommend them highly: stiff and rigid, and even more accurate than the advertised tolerance of 0.002": set against each other as described above on the bed of my table saw or against the blade of a Starrett rule, I am unable either to fit a 0.002" feeler gauge between them at any point, or indeed to see any gap between them at all.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It's not as bad as that. Look again: $29.50 for two vs. $9.99 for one.

Also, there are other sources for this item that are less expensive than LV. Finally, notice the advertised tolerance on these. Notice also that Rockler does not specify the tolerance on theirs -- with good reason, I might add (see my other post in this thread for details).

Reply to
Doug Miller

and similar ones elsewhere. They look like a great idea but I think

I made a 90-degree block and keep with my clamps. It has been handy a few times. Wax the block to repel glue. Metal 90-degree brackets work well too. I think $10 is a little steep for a 90-degree corner brace.

Reply to
Phisherman

Now these look a lot better. Outrageous cost, though.

Reply to
Phisherman

"J. Clarke" wrote

Plywood ...

Reply to
Swingman

Corian....

Reply to
Robatoy

Corian....

Reply to
Robatoy

Rockler

and similar ones elsewhere. They look like a great idea but I think

I have an aluminum supplier/distributor in my area and they have ARCHITECTURAL shapes (square corners) that work well for jigs and such. Mine has a CUT OFFS box where I can buy scrap pieces by the pound. Made a ROuter Tabke Fence out of one piece and a tenon jig out of some two-ich square stuff.

PS, eve if they were "square" as promised, ten bucks is way too much, way too much.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Rockler

> and similar ones elsewhere. They look like a great idea but I think

I was thinking I should have noted the angle I use is Al which is smoother surface than structural iron and generally more precise as well as the weight advantage. As here, the ironmonger has scraps for cheap...really short little cutoffs for stuff like this may be just handouts out of the trash bin...

--

Reply to
dpb

Corian would be a possibility.

Baltic Birch might be another--with domestic Douglas Fir plywood one would have trouble getting a decent degree of smoothness on the edges.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Aha, that explains why no matter how many times I measure the pieces of wood I cut up never fit, it's a multiplicicational thing. ;^)

Reply to
DGDevin

Good tip, thanks. I see Jevons is an exhibitor at the woodworking show, I'll keep an eye open for a deal such as you got.

Reply to
DGDevin

Same as I used. Made a set of 4 triangles from 3/4 birch ply scrap,

8 x 12" each. Drilled 1" holes along the bases and verticals to take F-clamps. Notched the square corners to let glue run. Wax finish was enough to pretty them up.

Surprisingly, they came out square enough that they themselves can be used as squares.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Can anyone testify as to the effectiveness of the plastic ratcheting corner jigs from Lee Valley? "Right Angle Assembly Clamps"

Gordon Airporte

I can't advise you on the use of these clamps, but I did consider them and decided to go with the swivel mitre clamp.

I figured I can only work on one corner of something at a time and if I ever do need to partially assemble something before putting it together permanently, the 90° assembly braces I bought will do what I need them to do.

Upscale