corner bond

I'm trying to figure out the bonding for my garage brickwork (straightforward stretcher bond).

The plans show a corner with the corner forming a pier. In the existing garage it looks as though there's a half brick running up the corner of the wall.

The only way I can figure how to do this and maintain the bond is to use bricks with a quarter removed and three quarter bats. So far every attempt to produce a L-shaped brick with a quarter missing has ended up in disaster!

Is there a trick I'm missing? this is the only way I can think to maintain the bond - the appearance of the existing brickwork is immaculate. I just hope they didn't cheat and run a course of half bricks up the corner. I'm sure they didn't.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Well, on closer inspection, scraping away some of the mortar, I can see that that's exactly what they did - ran a line of quarter bricks up through the corner to form the pier. I guess that'll do for me too then..

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Use plenty of ties.

Scarp rubble tied together with mortar and ties seems stronger than properly laid courses without :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

snip

Good point. I'll add in a few ties as well...

Reply to
Paul Andrews