window 4.5 bricks wide - bond ?

I have a window design 4.5 bricks wide (40 inches). Would it be considered bad from / look bad if the bricks against the opening were half-brick on one side / whole brick on the other on each layer ? Obviously this would alternate from one layer to the next ? Would anyone even notice that the bond was not symmetrical either side of the window ? Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On 06 Dec 2005, wrote

I think I'd notice it; sorry.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Its called 'reverse bond' and is not the done thing. From both a designers and bricklayers perspective it is wrong

Whether anyone would notice is another matter.

dg

Reply to
dg

My front (ex-sash) windows are 4 1/2 bricks wide and non-matching bond. Nobody notices.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

i agree it will look fine

Reply to
Mindwipe

If you have a 4 1/2 brick opening and you have brickwork below or abov it, in order to maintain a "symmetrical" bond either side of th opening you are going to have to alter the bond with 3/4 bricks belo and/or above the opening which will look a lot worse than havin alternate bricks either side. In practice you would continue the norma bond up the sides of the opening even if it resulted in a reverse bond its not something that will be noticable

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H