Boarding up Basement window

Hi ,

I have a basement window that I want to close up. It gives no light as it is under the deck and is basically useless. I want to basically lay in insulation and put a piece of plywood over the window frame and then match the stucco on the outside. I then want to go inside and frame and gyprock it...mud it, sand and paint it. I took photos of the window in question and can be seen here.:

Question I have is...do I actually have to take the whole window out before going over it? I'm thinking the glass would make a good vapor barrier. The window frame is also encased in the cement foundation. I would just like to know roughly how much should I tear out before putting in the new studs, insulation, etc.... Thanks...Jim

Reply to
Jim

It does appear to provide some light.

If they window is under the deck, why worry about finishing it to match the existing stucco?

Before you start I would suggest checking your local building codes. It may require that the window stay as it is. Worse yet, it may require that any deck blocking it be removed. I am guessing the second issue will not be a problem.

Local codes may require it to be there to provide ventilation.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I dosen't provide any light

Because I am fussy and don't want something to LOOK like it was covered over. I want it to look like it always had been there.

I have other basement windows in the same room that provide ventilation if needed.

Reply to
Jim

I believe you, but I can't understand how a window can provide no light can still be seen, and if it can't been seen, why you need to worry about the looks.

Sorry I can't offer any good ideas, I have never worked in stucco, of any of the three basic flavors. I suspect the answer to your question may depend on what kind of stucco you have.

They may have a given number and size of windows depending on the size and shape and use of your basement.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Consider removing the entire window and filling the outer opening with 4 x 8 x

16" cement blocks set on edge as a proper base for the stucco. That will leave 4" or so for framing and insulation to finish off the interior, assuming the usual 8" wide foundation wall. The blocks can be sized for the opening with a circular saw and one of your box store's Chinese bargain diamond blades. Or you could rent a saw, of course. Ordinary brick would do as well but require a little more work. Tapcons can anchor your new framing to the masonry very nicely. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst