Foundation XV - The Final Chapter

Folks -

It's DONE. Poured, finished, cured, danced on, drank on.... And we've started FRAMING... now... Just in time for the season's first serious rainfall... Damn! Well, progress...!

Overall I am VERY happy with how things turned out. The end wall ended up being out of square by about 1 1/2" - I can only guess that the form slipped, and have NO idea how. The forms were braced like a brick, um, sawdust house (or so I thought) and I did check the diagonals and wall lengths before the pour.

It's worked out, tho' We have three wall sections up and no matter how many times you view it in your minds' eye or look at the drawings, it's quite another to see the walls go up. VERY satisfying!

Again, my deepest gratitude and thanks to Al Miller a rec'r brother-in-arms of the first order. As a Concrete Contractor (Emeritus) we exchanged countless emails and a number of phone calls. The man has the patience of Job and I can't thank him enough. It's folks like him here that make up for wading through 100 OT trolls.

Rather than post in APBW, SWMBO posted the photos at Yahoo. If y'all click on the link below you'll bring up the photo album. If you click on the "slideshow" button on the left side of the frame you can see the work progress in rough order of construction.

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/d61d&.src=ph&.tok=phlxg5BBr6x9bMg5

Before you all make snide remarks that it looks like the Wife is doing all the work, I'd remind you that I was taking most of the pictures...

Having 10' tall walls is going to make a HUGE difference - oboyoboyoboyoboy!

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/d61d&.src=ph&.tok=phlxg5BBr6x9bMg5

Beautiful! :-) Congratulations. mahalo, jo4hn

p.s. Did anyone notice that it looks like the Wife is doing all the work?

Reply to
jo4hn

brother-in-arms

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/d61d&.src=ph&.tok=phlxg5BBr6x9bMg5

oboyoboyoboyoboy!

You're right. It does look like his wife is doing all the work. Going to be nice when it's done though.

Reply to
Paul in MN

Fantastic. It's been a hell of a slog getting here.

That's what I tell people about my housebuilding photos too, but nobody believes it. Congrats on a new almost-space.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Outstanding Job !! The Mrs. should be commended on the concrete pour.

Good Luck and curse those acorns. Maybe you should wear a hardhat over the next couple of weeks of framing.

Rich

brother-in-arms

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/d61d&.src=ph&.tok=phlxg5BBr6x9bMg5

oboyoboyoboyoboy!

Reply to
RKON

That what I noticed too.

How much does she charge per hour?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Hmm... photos 6 and 7: Back of house-- gutter in tact. Photo #9-- Backhoe reeeeeeeealy close to back of house. Photo #10-- Big-assed crunchy-bendy dent in gutter, just visible behind operator's head.

_That_ musta sucked. :) Whahappened? ;>

Congrats on the slab, though!

Michael

Reply to
Michael Baglio

nod-nod...yup, got a gutter just like that on the corner of my garage. And a backhoe. No pictures, though.

Dave "What part of 'I don't want to talk about it' didn't you get?" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"RKON" wrote in news:jXTcd.40561$%x.28488@okepread04:

A good part of the problem is that the acorns function as imperfect, but capable ball bearings under foot.

Patriarch, who's headed up John's way to build my dad a mantel soon...

Reply to
patriarch

Ah, kind of like shell corn on the road (at a corner) while on a motorcycle. Not round, but round _enough_.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Fun stuff!

I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt, but are you sure that's how you want to frame the rough opening for your window? The codes where you are could be different than Wisconsin, but that looks a little shaky to me- maybe call up your building inspector and see!

Enjoy the shop!

Reply to
Prometheus

Nope, It's not how I am framing the window.... One of my "learning experiences was laying out the anchor bolts on 4' centers and then discovering that I had placed a good portion of them SMACK DAB underneath my king studs. This should have been a no-brainer, since the studs are 16" OC. Anyway, I did leave it to ask the building inspector and he said to leave the bolt in place and to drill and use another wedge anchor or epoxied thread all adjacent to the bolt. I'll frame in the window after I slip the other stud into place.

Good eyes!

John

Reply to
John Moorhead

Guess I better throw in a 2 cents here. Over the years I have taught a lot of people how to setup forms and pour concrete but never by e-mail or phone. This was a new experience for me and Very rewarding. John was a delight to work with and did a great job, if I was still in business I'd hire him in a minute.

I did notice the same as the rest of you that he took the pictures and when ever I phoned to see how things were going, HE answered. Mmm, who was out doing the work? Rose?

In May I'm moving to Libby, Mt for final retirement and plan to build a shop about the same size so I plan to invite John there to show me how (or do the work). Might even take him flyfishing on the Kootenia River to catch a big trout.

This NG is one of the best I've seen with some very nice and knowledgeable people that have answers to about anything in woodworking. So we get some OT's and trolls but so what? We still help each other and that's what counts.

Al in WA soon in MT

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/d61d&.src=ph&.tok=phlxg5BBr6x9bMg5

Reply to
Al

I've got a dent in the door of my pickup that falls in that category.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

hey Al.. hope your retirement is happy, healthy and busy..

judging from the pictures, I'd suggest asking John's wife to assist on that shop construction... maybe John could take pictures and make the coffee?? *eg*

Reply to
mac davis

cool :)

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Oh man, that sucks! I had 3 or 4 like that the last time I helped a guy put up a shop, and it was a real PITA. We bolted the sill plate to the foundation, and then drilled up from the bottom of the wall to allow the nut and bolt to slide right up into the stud. It was the second-worst part of the whole job. (The worst was nailing the sheathing to the roof- I hate roofing!)

Thanks! I just didn't want you to end up with busted windows when the structure shifts.

Reply to
Prometheus