Sealing stucco to the foundation to prevent termites

Want to seal where the stucco meets the foundation to prevent termites from invading. This is about 10 inches below soil level. The stucco no longer or never did bond to the foundation very well.

Any ideas what to use?

Thanks....

Reply to
Tanque

Is it common in your area to have stucco below grade? If your stucco is below the soil I beleive you mean your wood framing is also? Then the termites have a perfect hidden path to wood ? Is this the case? Not being able to see it , id say re grade and remove stucco below grade, check damage then rebuild to stucco with something termites cant get through or under

Reply to
mark Ransley

Cannot be done.

Make sure no framing of wood is below grade. If it is re-grade.

Better make sure the dirt around your house is a dry as possible.

termites

Reply to
Art Begun

The house is in the San Francisco Bay area of California. The foundation is poured cement. The sill plate is about 12 inches above the soil level. So, the framing is indeed above the soil level. Problem I have is that since the stucco meets the poured foundation below soil level termites have made their way in to the sill plate through a gap where the stucco meets the foundation. That is what I would like to seal.

Thanks......

Reply to
Tanque

I'm surprised they went 12 inches. Must be hungry. Are you sure they are subterranean termites and not the dry type? In any case you will probably have to poison the ground around the house, unfortunately. During construction the builder could have put in a metal seal but not really possible now.

level.

Reply to
Art Begun