sealing cracks against termites?

I've had a minor termite attack, they snuck through the crack between the foundation and the front steps, and attacked through the boards below the front door. The pest control guy treated under the stairs, and I repaired the damage.

My question is, how can I prevent the termites from crawling back through this crack once the poison in the ground weakens? There are also similar gaps between the foundation and sidewalk on the side of the house by the side garage door, and I'm worried termites can crawl through this gap and attack the wood trim around the door.

Would normal silicone sealant do the trick? Or is there a special product designed to block termites? What about that black stuff that you sometimes see sealing the gap between sections of concrete?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Krystonia5

Since termites eat wood, virtually anything would work. But you need to renew the control chemical to keep the critters at bay. Good luck..

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

On 09 Sep 2004 02:39:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Krystonia5) wrote:

:) I've had a minor termite attack, they snuck through the crack between the :) foundation and the front steps, and attacked through the boards below the front :) door. The pest control guy treated under the stairs, and I repaired the :) damage. :) :) My question is, how can I prevent the termites from crawling back through this :) crack once the poison in the ground weakens? There are also similar gaps :) between the foundation and sidewalk on the side of the house by the side garage :) door, and I'm worried termites can crawl through this gap and attack the wood :) trim around the door. Depending on what was used may depend on how long the product stays active...all termiticides are tested to last 5 years. I would guess what was used was a repellant rather than products called Termidor or Phantom which are non repellant and are spread by the foraging termites to attck the colony. Repellant termiticides will stop them where they were at, but they will now bypass that area and probably show up in the areas you are concerned about or worse, entry points under the home that you are unaware about. More companies these days are comfortable with doing Termidor treatments and just treating areas of probable entry rather than every linear foot and plumbing points and still warrant the whole house, lowering the costs of the job over what it might of cost a few years ago. You might look into this option to get full protection on the home.

:) Would normal silicone sealant do the trick? Or is there a special product :) designed to block termites? What about that black stuff that you sometimes see :) sealing the gap between sections of concrete?

Termites only need an opening the width of a pencil mark and most products you will find to fill any gaps over time will show signs of seperation from the cement and might make it harder to detect any activity until they start popping through the walls.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar