Should I caulk the outside window trim against the stucco?

Hello,

I am painting my exterior window trim. My house is stucco. Should I run a bead of caulking where the wood trim meets the stucco? My house is 40 years old and it appears that only one window and one door were ever caulked this way.

If I should caulk, how do I make a nice clean bead? Is there any energy saving advantage to caulking?

Thanks for the advice in advance, Mike :)

Reply to
Mike P.

The purpose of caulking is to eliminate the possibility of water entering any areas where you don't want it. Stucco and wood joining together is one area I would not want any moisture to accumulate - so to answer your question - yes, I would caulk it. Energy savings occur when you eliminate any outside air entering into a conditioned space. If you have any air entering from cracks in seams or joints, you will benefit (not to mention getting rid of any unwanted pests that may decide to take up residency.

Finally - how do you caulk? The best method is practice. Cut your caulking tube tip at an angle and only large enough to allow enough of the material to leave the tube required to fill the space you are filling. A smooth hand squeezing the trigger handle and steady movement of the gun down your seam is the best method ~ but like I said - it may take you a little practice. (Hint: start at the back of the house) :-)

I read once that over 50% of the caulking sold is actually used for its intended purpose. The rest was lapped up by someone's finger and disposed of on paper towels and sponges.

Jim Mc Namara

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

sure caulk, it keeps the rain out, it may seal the house a little more to.

Reply to
mark Ransley

I caulk by moving forward. That way I can see just how the caulk is filling the space--allows me to judge just how fast to move and hard to squeeze the trigger. Also, the back of the caulking tube smoothes out the seam making a nice looking joint since it is pushing the caulk into the seam opening. However, whatever works for you. MLD

Reply to
MLD