Air conditioner situation

About a month ago we had an existing air conditioner unit hooked up to a

60 foot single wide mobile home that had been moved. There was no electricity at the site so the technician said that he would use a generator to test it once it was connected. The job required a new pad, lines connected plus freon and a valve. The price was around $600.

Last week we had the electricity finally turned on and found out that the unit wasn't cooling. We called them and they came out and fixed it. We paid the 600+ bill. Yesterday we get a bill for 250 plus dollars because the unit needed a (another?) valve and more freon. Shouldn't they have checked it for leaks upon installation? Any suggestions or comments?

D. Haas

Reply to
Dave Haas

Just another of life's lessons. It is never a good idea to have work performed when there is no immediate way to determine if it was done successfully.

Call and explain what happened and be polite. They may be morally obligated to fix it gratis but technically they would have had no reasonable way to determine hidden problems when there was no power available. At best you might get them to split the difference since a good shop should have suggested waiting until power was available. Customer satisfaction and future service calls may carry some weight but not if you get hostile.

Regards,

John

Reply to
JTM

Yes. This is kind of what I was thinking about. It just seems unfair to me since they being the experts should have been able to determine if it were fixed properly the first time. Or am I dreaming?

Thanks for the reply.

D. Haas

Reply to
Dave Haas

Yes, they should have used a micron gauge and purged the unit with nitrogen!!

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

Holy shit..I need to raise my rates...big time.

Yup...dont pay it. You got ripped.

Reply to
CBHvac

This is Turtle.

CB is right on with the screwing you if this is the case as I get it.

If the service company hooked up the system, Sold all parts to you and you did not buy or furnish any parts yourself, There was a hole near the valve they installed or a defective valve they sold you , If you paid them $600.00 to install the condenser ,and they wanted another $250.00 to re repair their valve they sold you. You don't owe them a damn thing. Be polite and call them up and explain that their new valve failed in less than a month and you feel that you owe them nothing. I do this type work for a living and you do charge to go back and fix your own screw ups. Not only what i expect to not pay them but i would expect a appology from them for srewing up my system and have the Balls to try to get paid to fix their own screw ups.

You can do what you want to but i would not pay them shit to come back and do a job right after they screwed it up. If they expect you to still pay after you explain what the story is. I would call the BBB and report them and file a case against them. If you reported them on something like this they will get hit hard on the public reviewing there work history when starting work for large companys or big jobs.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE