Compacting crushed stone foundation

I'm laying a shed foundation of 3/4" crushed stone. Due to levelling issues, I'll be putting down around 12" depth of it (about 7 yards total crushed stone in a 144 sq. foot area).

Question:

-If I rent a jumping jack for the weekend (around $91), am I ok putting ALL the crushed stone down and THEN compacting it w/ the jumping jack all at once?

-Or do I need to put a few inches down, compact it, put a few more inches, compact it, etc...?

I've never used a jumping jack before so I don't know if the vibration can penetrate into 12" of crushed stone or if I need to do it in layers.

Thanks!

Don't use a jumping jack they are hard to handle, use a plate vibrator to set the gravel in layers about 4" thick. They come in various sizes, but an average rental one should be fine to pack the gravel.

I was compacting about 3 feet of granular material for a driveway extension and rented some equipment, a Bobcat to move the material and a large plate vibrator to pack it. The one they sent was a diesel powered unit that weighed close to 1000 pounds, it really packed the gravel, impossible to move unless it was running, but not hard when it was vibrating. Had to be careful as it would like to aim into low areas and it would take all my strength to get it back where I wanted it.

Reply to
EXT

Use a vibrating plate..

pull themselves along when running. I would do it in at least two goes and recheck the levels between.

Reply to
Cwatters

Reply to
jloomis

See if your local concrete supplier has a product called consolidated fill. Its a mix of flyash and cement. I understand it is self compacting to about 95%. It dries like very hard sand. For a shed it should be fine.TonyG

Reply to
TonyG

Actually if you live in an area with limestone as the predominant rock, call a gravel quarry and ask for "unwashed crushed limestone" it will have all the fine stone and dust in-between the gravel, they wash it to remove it for "washed gravel". Packed down it sets like soft concrete. My driveway is made out of it and can handle a loaded redi-mix truck without tire depressions forming.

Reply to
EXT

I understand. We get crushed basalt here and it performs similar. But it will track grit into your bldgs. So its not used as approach walks but makes good parking areas etc. T

Reply to
TonyG