Help identify these conifer seeds/seedlings

Hi,

My kids picked up some conifer seeds last autumn - I think from Kew Gardens - and we stuck them in a pot a month or so ago. To our surprise we had close to 100% germination and we're now wondering what we're growing.

The seeds were about 1.5 cm long, pale brown with darker streaks. The seedlings have eight needles and are about 5 cm high at present.

There are images on

snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com/album?.tok=phBMlHBBGLFOMNsJ&.dir=/caa5&.src=ph

Sorry about the complicated link, hope it works.

I think they're probably Pinus. Any suggestions as to the species?

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Phillips

Definitely Pinus, impossible to say (unless someone recognizes the seed as unique, I do not) until the juvenile foliage is replaced with the second flush of growth.

Dave

snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com/album?.tok=phBMlHBBGLFOMNsJ&.dir=/caa5&.src=ph

Reply to
David J Bockman

Isn't that a capital offence? Last time we were there there were signs about every 3 feet warning us not to take any cuttings, seeds etc. I think if they catch you they feed you into the shredder or something.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The seed remind me of the seed of the caster oil plant. Good job you took a picture of the seed before you planted them.

Reply to
David Hill