Hardieplank or vinyl siding..

Currently have LP siding that is deteriorating after 10 years. I installed it and about 1/2 of it is bad. Want to either replace the damaged sections with hardieplank and repaint or do the whole house in vinyl...I know putting the old LP stuff up was hard up high due to weight but I know the hardie plank weighs a ton!

I have helped on a vinyl install before and was not hard and the materials were lightweight and do not need painting. some neighbors have vinyl 15 years old and looks fine still. Newer vinyl designs seem to look better than theirs. I think I am answering my own question here and leaning towards the vinyl solution. But any comments welcome.. Rob

Reply to
ROBMURR

Today's better vinyls are not bad, but they do tend to be noisy in wind. They rattle.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I would think that Hardiplank is much more expensive and that should be a consideration too.

Reply to
Art

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ROBMURR) wrote on 22 Jul 2004:

Well, do you want siding that is fireproof, structural, and looks decent? Or do you want vinyl?

Reply to
Doug Boulter

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ROBMURR) wrote in news:20040722113129.04966.00001403@mb- m24.aol.com:

I've removed vinyl and aluminum on numerous houses when doing renovations and remodeling. Without fail, major sections of the wood (old siding and framing) beneath the outer siding was severely rotted. Vinyl and aluminum work OK on new installations but typically not too well over existing siding.

Reply to
David Wilkinson

My experience matches this in part. I worked with a builder on a house that had original siding removed and vinyl added. Flashing around windows and #15 felt was damaged. OSB sheathing was deteriorated because vinyl siding let weather through. TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

I'm adding a third floor to my house, which is on Long Island Sound. It currently has cedar lap siding. I was debating all the choices and decided on pre-finished Hardiplank. The 30-to-50 year warranty on the siding and 15 year warranty on the finish sealed the deal for me. There may have been improvements made in vinyl over the years, but it still looks like crapola to me.

Reply to
Bailey