26-inch wide door?

Looking for a 6-panel 26" wide door, 76 inches tall. I seem to only be able to find either 24 or 28 inch wide doors but the original door and the current opening with original casing/trim is 26 inches. Anyone know where I can find one? I don't need oak or anything like that, simple pine would do.

Reply to
John

Three options come to mind, in order of difficulty...

  1. Buy a 28" door, and rip an inch off each side to make it a 26" door. Obviously, you'll need to make new mortises for the hinges and drill the holes for the lockset.
  2. Buy a prehung 24" door. Remove the old door and casing, and install the smaller door and casing in the opening. You'll need to shim around the casing with plywood or something to fill the gaps. Then cover the wider gap with trim. Obviously, this would work better if you have a house with wide trim. Otherwise, wide trim would look kind of odd if everything else is narrow. :)
  3. Pull the trim off the door and measure the opening around the door casing. Depending on how much space there is, you "MIGHT" be able to squeeze a prehung 28" door in there. The only way to know for sure would be to measure the opening, then measure the size of a new door casing to see if it will fit. If the door is in a non-bearing wall, you might be able to replace one or both jack studs with 1x4's to gain the extra clearance? This assumes doubled studs on each side of the door.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Doors are made in 2 inch multiples, any decent supplier will have or can get a 26 incher.

Reply to
EXT