How to Lower Bed or Put it on the Floor?

I have had a bedroom set for over 10 years and it is very nice, however the bed is high off the ground. It takes a 2 step (original furniture that came with the set) to get into the bed. It was ok while I was young, but now that I am getting older I don't want to climb into bed and would probably break a limb if I accidently fell out. Anyway, any suggestions on how the bed could be lowered, without damaging the furniture or should I put the box springs on the floor? I like the furniture and we not want to sell. Thanks

Reply to
trax

Picture might help. You might be able to lower whatever holds the box spring on the inside of the frame. Depending on the type of frame, there are sometimes hooks on the side panel of the frame that hook onto a series of hangers on the foot- and head-board.

Reply to
Norminn

True, Norminn, but these are a matched male/ female set with no allowance for height adjustment. I initially thought of how a crib set performs this function but there isn't anything out there like that, but I did find this.

While you

*will* have to drill new holes in your corner posts to mount them lower it could be the least damaging option out there. If you have a Rockler store nearby you may be able to see them but don't count on that. You had better call first and see if they have that particular catalog number on hand. Here's another item from another company.
C & E

Just loose the box springs...you'll never miss them.

Reply to
dadiOH

Second this. Box springs are worthless and add no comfort.

Reply to
HeyBub

Easy for you skinny people to say- I can tell the difference. Besides, the box springs also protect the mattress, so it doesn't stay fully compressed under the pressure points.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Then get a thicker mattress when you ditch the box springs. I don't think I've EVER had a bed with box springs, except maybe when staying in a hotel.

It's also a good idea to turn or rotate the mattress every year or so.

Reply to
HeyBub

How would loosening the box spring lower the bed?

Reply to
PanHandler