How easy is it to fall out of bed?

On the face of it this is a bit like the "Home Truths" programme, but I'm quite serious. My mattress top is 2 ft 8ins above the floor, which is hardwood with a thin carpet. I don't fall out of bed to the best of my knowledge, but if I did I could do myself some damage. What actually stops us falling out of bed - there must be something? And when does this break down and deposit us unawares on the floor - nightmares? Drink? This has been playing on my mind. Any ideas? Any solutions? I have a single bed. Andy

=== Andy Evans === Visit our Website:-

music and health pages and interesting links.

Reply to
Andy Evans

I sleep with my [single] bed against the wall. Years ago after babysitting for friends I slept in their spare bedroom, and did fall out of bed - presumably because the wall wasn't there.

I caught my foot on something sharp and a few days later it had ballooned up. At the casualty:

Q: How did this happen A: I fell out of bed Q: Was it your own bed A: No Q: OK I won't ask you for any more details.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Just because you're asleep, all your bodily functions don't cease. You'd be dead if they did. Only a tiny part of them are put on 'standby' The rest remain active.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's exceedingly rare for anyone normal to fall out of bed, I don't know why some people are so obsessed about it - mainly parents and bunk bed makers. That's why upper bunk beds are so difficult and, I think, dangerous to climb in and out of.

When we stay with one of our offspring we sleep in one of the girl's rooms, I use the top bunk because I don't get up as often as Spouse does through the night.

I hate it.

Same in Youth Hostels.

I'd rather sleep on the floor.

Don't worry about falling out of bed, it doesn't happen.

Sits back and waits for stories of people falling out every night ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

LOL - I often wake myself up when I get too close to the edge, but haven't fallen out as an adult.

My youngest often used to fall out of bed - we bought him a loft bed and thankfully he can't fall out any more.

Jayne

Reply to
Jayne

Mind boggles.... :~)

'us' - 'single bed', intimate but wouldn't it be better to get a double ?!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I used to fall out of bed as a child and was firmly tucked in with sheets... (Or was I just told I fell out of bed and tucked in to stop me mooching my way downstairs at 11pm?)

I have never fallen out of bed (that I can remember, although this might be pointing to hitting head on floor?)

If you are concerned either (a) get cushions aplenty and put them round the bed on the floor, or (b) make the bed lower to the floor or (c) get a top sheet and tuck it in tightly.

might not be alone if you do though.

Reply to
mogga

What actually stops us falling out of bed ->

In the sense of "The weight of British taxation is borne by us" (and not speaking for HMtQ of whom hopefully the statement is true)

My solution so far - worry about it and put a pillow on the floor in case. Should I be certified?

=== Andy Evans === Visit our Website:-

music and health pages and interesting links.

Reply to
Andy Evans

I've woken up a few times to find myself gripping the edge of the mattress with both buttocks ;-)

Reply to
Nigel M

You really want that question answered?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Do you have any other tricks?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Jayne writes

Our Brat 2 used to fall out of bed regularly, and also used to turn 180 degrees in the bed. One evening I went upstairs after hearing the latest THUD to find her room apparently empty - she'd fallen out of bed, rolled under it, and continued to sleep. She was disappointed when we wouldn't let her sleep in the top bunk on the Harry Chook ferry.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

I sometimes find myself right on the edge, but the cause is usually our two dogs who have crept up the middle of the bed and pushed us outwards :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

On this very subject, I was watching one of the real life Paramedic / Casualty style programs on a Discovery channel the other night and they had to attend to a young bloke (early 30s) who had fallen out of bed and died.

Not sure if alcohol might have been a factor, ie. fallen out and been incapable of getting back up / asphyxiating himself in the process

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Right that's it, time for another quango along the lines of CORGI to oversee person/bed installations. If it saves the life of one person etc..........

Reply to
James Hart

Please can I have the job?

I want to see people gripping the bed with their buttocks ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:50:41 -0000, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

I think there's a website for that, I believe it is accessed via a premium rate dialup connection....

Reply to
Lurch

Strange that you should ask this. For the first time that I can remember I fell out of my bed a few weeks ago. I woke up as I started to fall, in time to break my fall with my hand. Weird experience

tim

Reply to
tim

I must admit that I've been pushed out of bed ...

Spouse insists on cuddling up to me and because he twitches I move away from him ... I've learned to push him away but used to be too fearful of upsetting him to do that.

Forty five years cures you of such things. We have a very high bed, it's a long way down.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I thought I saw on the telly recently that we become partially paralysed when we sleep to stop us acting out fights and beating up the missus / girlfriend / partner / dog etc.

And when does this break down and deposit us unawares

Possibly .. nightmares might overpower the partial paralysis?

Drink? This has been playing on my mind. Any ideas?

I would have thought drink would make you sleep heavier so less chance of falling out of bed?

I spent most of my childhood in a top bunk bad and can't remember ever falling ou. We currently have a foam mattress in an ex waterbed frame (quite high like yours) so there is a 'slight' wooden edge that you might sense in your subconscious? Mind you, it is a 'King size' (I'm

I built a single bed across the top half of our box room, first for my stepdaughter and now my daughter. It has a 6" raised outer edge and I can't remember anyone falling out of it .. even with two of them in there (sleepovers etc). It's about 5' 6" from the floor (served with a small flight of stairs not a ladder) so I think we would hear if someone fell out!

High sides?

I have a single bed.

A bigger bed ?

Sleep well ..