Help: Setting tile on table

A client wants a side table made using four pieces of tile he purchased in Turkey.  We decided that the pattern would match up better if grout was not used.  Can I get away with this?  I figure I would use regular tile setting cement on a piece of 3/8 marine ply.  The top will be banded with 1/2' stock.  Anyone with ideas/experience with this sort of project? Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Miller

I haven't done this but am working up to it on two pieces my wife wants. A concern that I have is how to seal the very small gap that is inevitable between the tiles. If anything is spilled on the table and gets into these gaps it may be a problem. I've thought of running a low viscosity clear polymeric material in using a hypodermic syringe and an

18 to 20 gauge blunt needle. Some of the Dow PDMS materials would probably work here.

I don't think you need to use marine plywood. Tile will adhere quite well to exterior plywood with any of the better latex modified tile mortars. Mapei's web site is a good resource.

RB

Bruce Miller wrote:

Reply to
RB

The top seems kinda thin to me. How big is the area of the top? Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I have made over 20 tables now with tile tops and have been securing the tiles to 1/2" marine plywood (only using marine ply because its scrap pieces that were given to me) and it works great. I have been using the tile adhesive that is made for holding tile onto walls - easy to spread and don't have to mix it up plus its waterproof since its made for kitchen and bath use. When I do a smaller project with just a few tiles I have had really good luck using "Powergrab" construction adhesive. It seems to be the same basic material as the tile adhesive but a little thicker and since it comes in a small tube its perfect for setting a few tile - plus it holds them in place almost immediately. I grout all the tile that I use and the only concern that I would have with omitting the grout is moisture getting between the tiles. Maybe a little silicone on the edge of the tile before setting in place would seal it up and not be visible. Good luck with the project and post pictures in the binaries group when you're finished.

Reply to
John A. Voss

Wtihout grout the gaps are going to fill with dust, wax, spills etc. etc. Sooner or latter there are going to be lines there anyway, better to use the right colored grout to start with and avoid a breeding ground for bacteria.

Reply to
Bernard Randall

butt the tiles tight together and grout with unsanded grout. it won't take very much of it

Reply to
bridger

Reply to
Wilson