Or has it gone very quiet?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

POETS day

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Been very quiet in the shop the last few days and there isn't anywhere near the usual road or pedestrian traffic outside.

Must be a moon phase thing. :¬)

Reply to
Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk

260-odd messages (or 260 odd messages) today.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah, seems it might have been VirginMedia pulling the plug on the old NTL news servers.

After the change of settings Agent seemed to have problems with *some* n/gs .. like this one for example?

Looks ok now though .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

Dunno - The NTL news server was closed down yesterday and replaced by the virgimnmedia one

so confusion prolly reigns

BTW - I didn't show you my sandblaster, did I

next time ...

Reply to
geoff

No Tim, its you :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

;-)

No .. we seemed to get distracted with boiler controllers and motorbikes! ;-)

Cheers and thanks again for getting me the ally cleaner.

I'm going to be collecting 5 wheels for the Ranger tomorrow and delivering some gear I picked up at Stoneliegh kit car show last Monday at the same time.

If we get back in time I'll give that cleaner a try on a spare alternator casing I have here.

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

No handy-jobs to do Dave? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Funny you should say that ...

I try to avoid going into London (so that's anywhere within the M25 these days) and would normally rather ride / drive 20 miles North than

2 miles south. Not only the traffic density but the general 'London driving' .. nothing moving very fast or in a predictable direction etc. Also simple stuff like being able to park ..

However, riding my recently semi-restored CB250 over to Watford with my Daughter on her 125cc scooter to meet Geoff today I noticed the often choked roads were fairly free moving. In fact apart from a few road works and the many traffic lights we rarely stopped at all (even for the rain )

We went in staying Nth of the M25 and came back just South of it and the return journey was much 'busier' but still reasonable (especially for a Friday).

Could be Pet! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. That's another 66 'interesting' miles she's got under her learner belt. I just hope she hasn't picked up too many bad habits following me? The motorcycle test isn't what it was when I took it 35 years ago!

Reply to
T i m

Is the poor daughter going to be carrying them back too ? ...

Reply to
geoff

Far too many jobs actually Tim. My head is spinning at the moment trying to book everything in :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Now look, those scooters have a great big cavern under the saddle that (as you saw) can easily take 5l of ally cleaner and her h/duty padlock and chain. It also puts it with a nice low cog .. not quite the same had I put it in my top box! ;-)

I was considering going round to Guildford on 'her' XV750 [1] as I could have taken the trailer and that would easily take the soft top and brake spares to him and brought the 5 x 6J 14" rims back .. but it's easier in the Rover and the same mpg as the Virago ...

All the best ..

T i m

[1] Or my R100RT when I get THAT back together again .. :-(
Reply to
T i m

That's good then.

So your real problem is finding time to spend all that money? ;-)

I quite like doing 'little jobs' for people though .. rewarding (as in thanks or a beer in my case or just knowing you have helped someone) and to can do them in short time (rather than prolonged projects).

Mum (75) has just broken her wrist (fell over when going to a Jazz gig ) and Dad isn't much use to her (another story).

So she phoned me saying she had a 'little list' and 'when I get a moment' (which officially will be in 2015 with all the stuff I have to do here) so daughter and I decided to walk round and see what we could do.

I got the mower out and daughter mowed the front a back lawns.

While she was doing that I fitted a new reversing light switch in their Mariva (I'd diagnosed the fault and got the switch a couple of days earlier).

I got the sun umbrella out of the garage and put it in the garden (heavy cast iron base).

I 'fixed' the i/r security light (by turning it back on in the garage) ;-)

Daughter removed the foam eaves fillers from the lean-to (Granny grows lots of plants and the lean-to is her greenhouse).

I reset the Home Hub router (so her VoIP phone works again).

I (then) checked her PC worked on the net and updated a few things.

I emptied the mower into the compost, cleaned it and put it away.

They were happy, daughter get's a fiver to 'treat herself to something nice' (she tried to resist but resistance is futile, probably going spend it on clothes in a charity shop) and I get a nice cuppa and some cake. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

SWMBO manages that department :-)

It is a nice feeling, some people are just overjoyed at getting simple things sorted.

FOOSH injury.

How do you get a teenage daughter to work?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

;-)

Yeah, but I guess simple to us but not them. Sfunny isn't it, I rarely call anyone in to do anything and have never put a vehicle in to be serviced .. it's just not something that crosses my mind. But as you say, even hanging a picture can be inconceivable for some people (luckily for you) ;-)

Probably. I don't ask or want to hear the details .. :-(

Dunno, I just ask this one .. or more typically:

1) Offer her jobs I know she's likely to enjoy because they are:

a)Different (like bricking up the flue hole the other day)

b) In her interest (working on the Honda 250 with me as she may well be riding it herself soon).

c) Getting her to make it 'her project' (like we are about to hit next doors back garden that's running wild and he said we can make use of it. I give her some ideas and then we do whatever she comes up with).

2) Explain to her that I need her help to be able to do and it is in all our interests we get done. 3) She is happy to do it because she enjoys it .. like cleaning the cooker!

To help her sort her room out we have bought and I'm going to get her to fit a new clothes rail in a poorly used cupboard in her room. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In the car, just like you did when she was at school :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm the same, never occurred to me to ever get anyone in. No good with vehicles though.

Ambulance speak. They have their own language. Falling Onto Outstretched Hands. Typical of a 'Grey Lady Down' call according to No:1 daughter.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

LOL. How true is that :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Technically she hasn't been 'to work' but only 'work experience' so far and then she cadged a lift from my missus as they were going to the same place. ;-)

Something I believe she is just beginning to learn about 'work' is that it often isn't actually half as difficult as she imagined it to be. I think she thought that pretty well any 'job' would contain elements that she wouldn't be able to grasp, took a lot of training or needed a special skills etc (I think this is partly down to her not being very self confident, in spite of being pretty bright and having reasonable common sense). Whist doing her work experience she actually managed the persons main role for a couple of days while they concentrated on their OU course! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m