Is it just me?

Well I guess it all depends on how young you are Dave, today's vehicles can be very difficult to 'repair', if the fault is in the ever increasingly complex electronics systems.

When we (wife n I) built the kitcar 18 years ago I'd never built one before but had no thoughts that I wouldn't be able to do it. Like many people my age at that time, I had changed / worked on engines, gearboxes, brakes, suspension, fuel and electrical components on cars and motorbikes. Many said suggested they wouldn't be able to do the same (build a kitcar) but I question if that was more a limitation of their mind than their abilities?

In most cases I only know something can't be done (by me) when I try and fail. As with this recent exercise with the 1 year old 'un repairable' Zanussi washing machine I was given (failed bearings in a 'sealed tub') which is now doing sterling service with little cost and just an open mind. ;-)

Ah. In this instance I believe she backed up against a kerb and fell backwards (but put her hands out to save her self all the same but backwards).

She's had her second cast done now so I assume things are progressing well.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

What's that? Old dear fallen over?

Oh wait a minute....... Old dear lonely so arranges attention from her local ambulance crew?

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Andy Hall writes

There you are, that's the NHS for you ...

Reply to
geoff

Indeed. Elderly person involved in a fall is refered to as a grey lady down call or a 'Nuf' call. Nuf apparently stands for neck/femur which are the common injuries found.

It does happen. As does the call from a lady with bad period pains, the baby crying for an hour and the bloke who had just bought a Boots blood pressure meter, checked his BP every 20 mins for several hours & was convinced he was dying.

Still, at £600 per call it doesn't matter.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

He is. The only point of discussion is the timescale.

As little as that? I'd have anticipated twice that figure.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In this case though it was my Mum who is made of old school material. ;-)

They were going to Jazz, she had got of the car in their car park for some reason (to see Dad back into a parking space probably) when she tripped backwards over a kerb and 'saved herself' with her hands.

She heard something go crack but as she wasn't actually dying carried on and watched the Jazz.

The first-aider in the venue checked for the worst, they found her a cold compress, she took some painkillers and converted her scarf into a sling.

It was obvious by the end of the gig it wasn't just a heavy landing so they drove to their local Hospital casualty unit and enjoyed the typical 5 hours process. This resulted in her wrist and lower arm being put in a plaster cast.

Still, luckily it was her left arm and being right handed meant she was still 75% efficient.

Our daughter spent a day with her to help her do some chores and she said 'granny' was carrying trays of seedlings about on her cast ... !

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

better tell her to take it easy - Some years ago, I remember someone trying to go back to work too early after a broken leg - had to have it rebroken and reset

Reply to
geoff

New ambulance is £105K on the road. They don't pay the staff very well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm pretty sure the phrase 'take it easy' isn't in her instruction set Geoff. :-(

To be fair she knows she's getting old (77 I believe) but that doesn't seem to slow her down. In spite of toes folding under themselves from too many years wearing 'ladies shoes' (and we all know what that feels like eh lads! .. oh, only me then ..) she can still out power walk our fairly fit daughter!

Plus she's now my Dad's official carer, still provides plant stalls at the church and primary school (partly sponsored by me with what seems like a never ending supply of potting stuff that I can sometimes get away with out repayment on) and generally keeps everyone happy before herself.

No different from many Mums of her age though I bet?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m