I THINK I'VE FOUND MY STAIN

Page 1 of 2
I've been doing some projects, and thinking I wanted some stain, to make the wood look like it had been used a long time. Not distressed, I don't believe in cruelty to wood. Just the look you get from a piece of wood, that's been in an old factory, for a hundred or so years. So I thought stain would be the way to go.
I'm trying to lean toward easy clean up stuff, water base poly, latex, etc., and didn't care to use any of the commercial stains. Had tried coffee and tea, but they didn't do what I was after.
Then today I saw some hickory nuts that had dropped beside my driveway. Viola. I don't have black walnut trees, but sure as Hell have hickory trees. I knew walnut husks were used for stains and dyes, why not hickory? Turns out, yes, hickory husks are used. But, no instructions on how. Dug more, several sources said make it same as walnut. Hmm, OK. Dug deeper. Then found this site. http://www.bright.net/~basketc/staining.html
I think that pretty well covers any questions I had. Altho, another site did recommend using cheap vodka. Pouring it over the husks, instead of ammonia or water.
So, tomorrow, after I get the truck brakes worked on, I shall be gathering some hickory nuts. I'm thinking no ammonia, probably just water, maybe with a shot of vinegar.
JOAT The whole of life is a learning process. - John Keel
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 22 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
Add pictures here
βœ–
That hickory makes beautiful flooring! Wilson

Add pictures here
βœ–
JOAT,
Now there's a money-making idea... With all the arts and crafts in that area and "natural" being the rage, make up a batch of stain, put it in those little cans or bottles and a label - "JOAT's Natural Hickory Brew"....
Bob S.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tue, Sep 23, 2003, 1:08pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (Bob S.) says: <snip> put it in those little cans or bottles and a label - "JOAT'sNatural Hickory Brew"...
This is moonshine country. If I did that someone would probably read as far as brew, and drink it. Then he'd probably start hallucinating, and then I'd probably get arrested for making untaxed brew. No thanks. Besides, wouldn't that be work?
JOAT The whole of life is a learning process. - John Keel
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 22 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
Add pictures here
βœ–

Why am I reminded of the old punch-line -- "It's a Hickory Daquari, Doc".
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robert Bonomi wrote:

I was thinking the same thing! But daiquiris are made from rum, not vodka.
Calahan's Cross-Time Saloon? Spider Robinson? Damn it's been a long time since I read that.
βœ–

I knew it was a lousy pun -- didn't realize it was a rum joke, as well. <groan>

I dunno. Google gives 912 hits on 'hickory daiquiri doc' -- spot-checking failed to turn up _any_ source attribution.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robert Bonomi wrote:

OK, I see a bunch myself, and nobody to attribute it either.
No telling if Spider Robinson was the first one to come up with that, but I was first exposed to that punchline in the aforementioned book around 20 years ago.
βœ–
I heard it in the 1960's and it wasn't new then. Spider's character just repeated it. ARM untie the nots in my edress
Silvan wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Alan McClure wrote:

Oh well. It was still a good book. :)
βœ–
Silvan wrote:

Many years ago, when the crimefighter with the visage of a night flying mammal and his sidekick, who had the name of a rosy chested bird, retired their crusade was taken up by the boy child of the caped crusaders ward. This young man used the printed word to fight wrong thinking and the planning of mis-deeds. Since his talents were many and always at hand he took on
the appellation of an arachnid. Thus was the persona born, Spider, Robins Son.
ARM Untie the edress if need be.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Alan McClure wrote:

Spider would probably smack you for that. :)
βœ–

After the gender-change surgery.
In fact, they made a movie about it --- Kiss of the spider-woman.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Unfortunately, sometime later, the father, _and_ his mentor, were involved in a serious accident. It seems that they were passing a roadway resurfacing project, and were inexplicably, and inescapably trapped in the path of a run- away steam-roller. Miraculously, they survived the incident, but, henceforth, their alter-ego's were known as Flatman and Ribbon.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robert Bonomi wrote:

That's why I hate punsters... You keep doing that, and all I can do is groan instead of firing back a witty retort. My punny bone is broken.
I can't write songs or poetry either.
βœ–
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Not so many years ago a biochemist grew a genetic duplicate of himself. Unfortunately, the duplicate was born with Turret's Syndrome and could only talk in four letter (i.e. filthy) words. The biochemist decided to dispose of his experiment and took his double to Lover's Leap to throw him off. Of course the scientist was arrested for trying to make an obscene clone fall.
ARM
Add pictures here
βœ–

Note: it's "Tourette's Syndrome".

Speaking of cloning -- a *TRUE* story from my college days: professor was _apologizing_ for not having the last batch of homework graded and back to us -- he was utterly swamped with things that had to be done, acting depart- ment chair, acting _dean_, and half-a-dozen *other* 'extra' duties had all come to roost with him that quarter. Anyway, he remarked that he was thinking of getting himself cloned -- that way he *might* be able to get everything done. A voice comes floating up from the back of the classroom: "But, wouldn't that be *breeding* inefficiency?" Entire classroom, _including_ the prof, utterly 'lost it'.
Later on, the prof accused me of authoring that remark. Admittedly, me, and two of my 'troublemaker' friends _were_ sitting in the back row that day. But it _wasn't_ us! As I told the prof, "I *wish* I'd thought of it!" I _think_ he believed me. <grin>
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:59:57 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT) wrote:

Man, I just got this mental image of a guy in denim shorts and work boots scampering about the meadows filling up his shop apron with hickory nuts.........
TomL
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tue, Sep 23, 2003, 8:57pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@toml.com (TomL) claims: <snip> Man, I just got this mental image of a guy in denim shorts andwork boots scampering about the meadows filling up his shop apron with hickory nuts.........
Been skipping your medicine again, I see.
Take a look at the picture of me on my web page. Does that look like someone who wears shorts, scampers, or wears an apron? Plus, I don't recall ever seeing a hickory tree in a meadow. Anyway, most meadows have cows, so you watch where you step, not scamper. Perhaps you confused me with Bob Villa, one of the three stooges, or your own fantasy.
I have been known to shoot hickory nuts out of trees, if not enough fell.
JOAT The whole of life is a learning process. - John Keel
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:57:23 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT) wrote:

OK, so maybe 'scamper' was a poor choice of words......
Add pictures here
βœ–