Competition for SawStop ?

Page 3 of 12

OK, I say we ask for a video where they shoot a sausage at the blade using a wrist rocket sling shot and see what happens.

A few years ago I went to a Woodcraft demo days event, and the Sawstop guy was there. He was tired of listening to the kind of prattle he was hearing about "not trying to injure himself" the "right way" or in any way the audience could imagine for him.
We were his last stop on demo days. He had a pile or cartridges, so he decided to show us how fast the saw would stop and how easy it was to replace a cartridge.
He SLAPPED the blade with a Hebrew National wiener (I know some here would probably like to know the exact product for their research rebuttals but all I saw was the package) and it stopped like a shot.
That thing stops so fast it is almost scary. With the SLAP (imagine you are falling backwards out of your attic through sheetrock onto a spinning saw left running by the neighbor's teenage prankster) trying to duplicate the unexpected, he was able to scratch the surface of the wiener. I think it might have drawn blood, but nothing to worry about.
I was sold. My next saw will probably be a Sawstop for the safety reason, but having used one in my friend's shop, I found them to be excellent pieces of equipment.
Robert

I watched that Tony MacDonald wood thing on PBS for the first time, in HD no less. ( and likely last time as it is too Dane Cook without any humour...just a little too slick and overproduced.) I'm thinking that's a Sawstop he's got there AND a big stack of Festools. And why not? Sawstop is THE saw to own and use. I'd have one in a heartbeat. I wonder where Tony is going to park his TimeSaver?

Yes, that's a Sawstop there. I sure wouldn't mind having one myself, especially if they'd include a nice large outfeed table kit for the price. I know outfeed tables aren't difficult to build... but I've got a servicable solution that works, it's just not as nice as I'd like.
Btw, it's Tommy.
He's got something better than Festools. A good shop assistant he can let do the boring stuff while he does the fun stuff. lol
Puckdropper
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:51:43 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

Imagine yourself in front of a saw where the floor had not been swept and there was sawdust on the top of the saw as well as the floor. You turn on the saw and slip in the sawdust and are falling into the saw blade. Your right hand slips off the top and your other flails out to catch yourself. It goes right into the spinning blade at a very fast rate, about 30 times faster than the demo cut. NOW what happens? We've only seen feed rates of 1 foot per minute and one inch per second. What about 80ips, hmm?
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
On 1/20/11 2:12 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The same thing. You can do the math. I can't... maybe yo can. :-) The video in this post isn't 1"/sec. It's more like 5-6"/sec.
--

-MIKE-

What about 80ips????
What happens is one hell of a lot less damage than if the saw was other than a SawStop. I'd still be much happier that I got a bad cut than loose a whole finger, hand, arm, or internal body part.

May I spell it out for you? I'm using a SWAG to estimate an 80ips speed. Perhaps someone can actually -time- the speed of a flailing hand as a person slips and tries to catch himself. Then have Sawstop test a wiener at that speed instead of in slow-mo, as they do now.

Very likely true, but we won't know until we see the experiment performed. What I'm saying is that the demo is deficient, showing only the best-case scenarios. Let's see worst-case!
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shall I spell it out for you? If the blade guard is in place as it should be (and I might add will most likely be in the case of an owner who thinks he/she needs the safety margin the SawStop is supposed to provide) the damage will likely be less than you suggest. or not?
Max
On 1/20/11 9:56 PM, Max wrote:

What blade guard would stop ones hand from sliding forward into the blade. If it doesn't stop wood, how is a hand any different?
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote > On 1/20/11 9:56 PM, Max wrote:

Um.....well.....You pose a difficult question. I may be supposing a blade guard like mine where one would have to be in a rather unique position to slide his hand under the guard and into the *teeth* of the spinning blade. Not that it couldn't happen but............. I guess I would have to agree with those who propose that "nothing is fool proof". <G>
Max
On 1/20/11 10:18 PM, Max wrote:

Is your guard not tapered on the front like most? Doesn't it get lifted up by the stock pushing into the front of it? Again, how is that different from a hand slipping off the wood, or someone slipping forward and pushing their hand forward to catch themselves. Both are pretty common causes of table saw injuries.
--

-MIKE-

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 22:22:52 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

As Max says, nothing is foolproof. But what you're positing is a situation where the hand is pushing a piece of wood under the guard. Not the case under discussion where someone is falling into the blade at high speed. In that case their hand would hit the top of the guard.

On 1/21/11 11:56 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I believe my situation is the exact scenario we're discussing. Who's going to fall straight down onto a running saw? Are guy turning your saw on and then changing your light bulbs or what? :-)
The real life scenario is one on which someone's hand slips forward in the same direction one is feeding stock into the blade. Several things could happen. You're leaning forward over the saw, feeding a board or plywood, there's sawdust on the floor, your feet go back, your arms go forward. You're feeding stock forward into the blade, there is kick back, your hands slip forward. You're using a lousy push stick that breaks or slips on sawdust, whoosh! You're feeding stock, your dog jumps on your back because you didn't put him on a leash and he's not don't playing. (real life scenario... I'm not working with that guy anymore)
All of these are situations in which one's hand would go straight forward, much faster than normal feed rate, under a flip-up blade guard.
--

-MIKE-

Time for Darwin.
Max

Sure, all of that is possible, just not a likely scenario in a realistic world. In the past, we've heard from physicians and emergency personal when it comes to a tablesaw. And almost without exception, those incidents of digits being chopped off have been when someone was using a saw with the guard removed. When it comes to slipping and falling, you're much more likely to fall in front of a bus than to fall or slip at the required angle to slide one's hand or arm under an installed and properly operating blade guard.
On 1/21/11 7:31 PM, Upscale wrote:

I don't get it... I mean I get the part about people not using their guards... but I'm talking about using the guard.
You're ripping a thin board, thinner.... like 2-3" inches wide, taking off an inch. You're pushing the stock into the blade with your hand directly in front of the blade, or off to the side an inch... sure you're plenty far enough in front of the blade... so you think, until something causes your to slip, your forward momentum causes your hand to go forward. What kind of angle are we talking? 5 degrees?
That's not far fetched at all. I've seen guys on TV using the same or worse technique.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

Mike, you're saying that this can happen. Sure it can. But statistics say that it's so rare that it's not something that should drive one's decisions.
On 1/22/11 8:36 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is what happens to most guys who are trying to be safe and still get hurt. The guy who never even pretend to try to be safe are the ones who you just have to say, fu@& it, you don't get to keep all your fingers.
Surly in all the saw accident statistics, there are incidents in which guys had all the safety procedures in check and still got hurt. How so, then, if not from their hand entering under the saw guard?
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

Well, there was the kid who lost an eye to a splinter that somehow got past both the guard and the safety glasses . . .