BEWARE: Harbor Freight poor customer service...

Page 4 of 6
I have two driveways - the one on the right goes up a significant incline to the main level garage. There is a sidewalk from this driveway to my front door. The one on the left goes to the lower garage under the house where my shop is located. It is somewhat hidden by a 9 foot tall brick wall that swoops from the drive over to the house. There is no obvious entrance to the house here - only a double garage door and a single entry door.
The UPS driver consistently leaves packages at the lower driveway door. Last summer, a box of Indian River fruit that was sent by a friend unannounced sat in the hot deep south sun for three days before we found it. Every package they deliver goes down there. Last week, $250 worth of drawer slides sat out in the pouring rain all night because we didn't know they were there. (Thanks WW Warehouse, for the very fast delivery!). On the other hand, Fedex consistently goes to the front porch. He parks on the street and walks UP the driveway.
We've called and complained. We put a note on the door. Doesn't matter. Me thinks the driver goes to the left side because the driveway is flat and he can pull right up to the door. On the right, he isn't going to make a tight right turn and uphill grade because he'll have to back out. Plus, on the right, he has to get out of the truck and actually carry the package to the front door or side door that we use. Imagine how heavy a box of 24 drawer slides must weigh.
G-g-g-r-r-r-r-h-h-h-h.

Since you already know where they consistantly leave them, why not check it daily around the date you expect it to arrive. Seems like you are your own problem!
bob wrote:

You can't blame HF for the policies of UPS. Why not contact UPS yourself and put in a claim? Fact is, once UPS picks up the package, the title to the goods transfers to you. HF has no obligation to do anything.
I would not buy from HF anyway, but it has nothing to do with your problem with UPS.

I am not sure that that is true legally. But in any case, I am not talking about the legal issue but about the customer service issue.
They don't seem to have any interest in helping the customer even when there is a way to do so at minimal cost or risk (e.g., using my credit card as a guarantee on a reship).
In fact, if they thought about this right the cost of dealing with multiple customer service calls (at ~$3/hour fully loaded) plus the bad faith created is more expensive than the minimal cost and risk of resending now (secured by a credit card) with possibly expedited shipping (at UPS's cost).
Such treatment would earn them real kudos since as I have said multiple times, I don't blame them for the initial loss (I fault only the "discretion" of the UPS guy who apparantly has the authority to use his "discretion" -- i.e. laziness -- to decide to leave the package outside). Rather, I only blame them for not trying to come up with a more helpful and flexible resolution.

I don't order too much from mail order (email order?) places because of this. I would rather pay a little more and visit the old brick and mortar. Not only do I get to examine stuff before I buy, but the friendly staff and a free cup of coffee help!
Grant
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Thgis is Turtle.
Boy Cott , you must not know how to deal with mail order tool companys. Here is how you go at it.
1) Call them back Harbor Freight and get a tracking number from the UPS company and check the details of the delivery. If it has been already delivered and you did not get it for what ever reason. 1A) call Harbor freight back and cancel all order as of now. 1B) Then Call your Credit card company and 1C) have all charges made payiable to harbor freight cancelled. 1D) Then order the needed tool from another company or call, Harbor Freight back and completely make another order for the needed tools but make sure the first order is totally cancelled or don't do any business with them till the first order is cancelled completely.
Now Harbor freight should not have charged your credit card until the day the tools was shipped. So you should have not paid for them yet on your credit card bill. If they have it already billed to you. you should object to paying it till the matter is solved.
Also when ordering tools from the cheapest supplier in the business don't expect Premium Service on problem like this.
TURTLE

I agree with you about how to get money back; however, I am not really worried that I won't eventually get my money back or the parts delivere; rather, I just want to fix the problem.
Other online places seem to make the extra effort to make their customers whole. I am not asking them to lose money or take risks here. Just asking them to send out another order in parallel with their (slow) resolution process. If they are worried about fraud risk, then I am happy to authorize them to charge my credit card if their investigation proves otherwise.
They just don't seem to have any flexibility.

This is Turtle.
You pay a higher mark up on tools from other companys and this higher mark up come better service. If you want a company with 110% quality of service don't use the discount companys to buy tools from. When you say discount on prices your saing your getting a discount on service that comes with it. Low Profit margin , Discount company, Discount service, and low mark up price all go hand and hand with each other. if you expect quality your going to have to remove thje discount from the name of the company to get this.
Now you wanting to change a discount company's policy is right next to getting pease on the earth without war or starving people. It will not happen !
TURTLE

If you didn't receive the items, and presumably you paid by credit card, call the credit card company and get them to do a chargeback. HF and UPS can sort it out amongst themselves.
mp wrote:

the item. you say yes. they say work it out with who you ordered from! Been there, done that.

Not with American Express.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I've had to do two chargebacks in the last 18 months with Visa. I called and reported that I had not received the order and that the vendor was either unhelpful or uncommunicative. Visa faxed me a form that I signed and faxed back, and the problem was taken care of. Easy and painless.
"> If you didn't receive the items, and presumably you paid by creditcard,

Yeah that'll work. First thing they ask is did you order the item. you say yes. they say work it out with who you ordered from! Been there, done that."
If that was your exper with your credit card company, I'd get a new one. I have a Citibank Visa and they have been excellent in resolving disputes with vendors for me both times when I got them involved. In both cases, I got a full refund.
In this case, it's premature to get the credit card company involved, as the vendor is not refusing to fix it or not responding, just indicating that their half-assed process takes a couple weeks to do it.

I related my experience to several other card suppliers and each said they would do the same thing. First you put the dispute in writing to the card company, but you can't do that until you 30 days after you tried resolving with the screw up company. Glad your experience was good, I was just grateful that I got all my money back after nearly 4 months an inch of letters numerous e-mails, and telephone calls to idiots that knew nothing. But then, I'll never purchase anything from Dell again.
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:59:10 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

All you have to do is say they refuse to work with you and you can get the amount charged back to your card. It's simple.
Brian Henderson wrote:

Nope. They didn't refuse. They were very cooperative just incompetent about returning all the money. Three packages, money for one was returned in two weeks, the rest dribbled. Do you suppose that it was because they were Dell?

I believe he was referring to the credit card company, not the vendor.
mp wrote:

vendor (Dell)refused to cooperate and the credit card company would credit the amount. Nothing about that is true! In the first place Dell was cooperating, just very slow, and in the second place the credit card company wouldn't get involved until I had exhausted all effort with the vendor. So, I had a large charge on my card and was told that I didn't have to pay it until the issue was resolved (even says that in the fine print), but I didn't believe that so I paid it. Later I found out that if I had not payed it, I would have been charged late fees and interest even if Dell did give me credit. Over a 4 month period that would have amounted to a considerable amout (especially since late fee charges are about $25 each month) plus the interest rate would go up because of the late fee, etc., etc. Resolution and getting you money back is not always a simple matter.
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

If you make a formal complaint to contest the charge, there are no fees or interest on <that portion> of the charges.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Wanta bet? That's the way it is supposed to be, but if you pay off all but the contested charge, they will charge interest on the contested charge, and then the next month when you don't pay it, they will charge a late fee and interest, etc. You should get it back, but in the mean time your credit rating goes down and the interest rate increases. And you may not get it back and sure as hell the credit rating and the interest rate won't change back. In my case, one of the personnel flatly told me that I would not get the interest and the late charges reversed.
But enough of this, that's my story. Others may have had better responses from their credit card company. I no longer trust a credit card. I use to also trust the legal system until I sat in a traffic court (and other small legal wrangles) for several hours on different days. What I saw of the various judges, lying to and misleading defendants about what they (the judge) might do, ruined whatever faith I ever had in the courts. And of course the county public defenders, were no help at all to the defendant. BTW, I'm talking about cases where the defendant may have done something illegal but very minor and was no threat to anyone except maybe some policeman(woman)'s macho image. Oh, well, better leave that one alone.