BEWARE: Harbor Freight poor customer service...

Page 3 of 6

Well it did happen (as per both HF and UPS).
My only issue is with the strength of HF customer service not the legal responsibility of who is at fault (obviously UPS). I am used to online discounters in other areas (e.g., Amazon, Dell, Newegg) going beyond strictly legal minimums to help their customers. The question is how good a customer service experience is HF creating and whether the deficiencies are worth it given the "discounted" pricing...
snipped-for-privacy@harborfreight.com wrote:

Unfortunately, that might not be true anymore. My package UPS tracking shows arrival at some faraway state and the delivery date is tomorrow. That happened with my last UPS delivery also. Customer service said that is normal.

Not all online stores are the same. Since you depend on delivery and not just picking the item off of the shelf, delivery is critical. Place more emphasis on familiarity with the online store, specifically shipping, and a little less on the price. Better luck next time.
I don't see Amazon or Dell (never bought anything from or even know what Newegg might be) to be bottom feeder discounters like I percieve Harbor Freight. In fact I seldom see Amazon being more that a percent or two below local sellers and lots of folks significantly undersell Dell. Therefore to me comparing the customer service levels of higher priced sellers like Dell to low price sellers like HF is less than valid.

Newegg is a low price computer & consumer electronics vendor with a stellar reputation for customer service.
I regularly find that sale prices at Amazon and Dell are the same or better than the lowest priced (non-gray market) competitor. For Dell, there are 10-25% off sales nearly every day.
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:03:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@harborfreight.com wrote:

Correction. Check pricewatch.com Newegg has good prices but they are higher than most of their on-line competitors. They also have MUCH better service than many of the others and they are well worth every penny they charge, but they are not in the "harbor Freight" category pricewise.
Check resellerratings.com and you will see the difference.

Obviously you must already have the tracking #, otherwise UPS couldn't tell you anything. But, you didn't mention you have the tracking #, if you don't have it, you are being misinformed. Since the package value was over the initial $100 insurance provided by UPS on all packages, HF should have insured it for the value. I can't imagine even HF sending items that had to have additional insurance, without a signature confirmation/acceptance. Something just doesn't sound right about your experience.

I have had packages that said on them signature required left by UPS on my porch. I am almost always home and often UPS will leave packages on the porch without even ringing the door bell.
You know, someone needed to change this topic to UPS POOR SERVICE, as this definitely is NOT a HF issue, but instead is a UPS issue
John
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:55:53 -0800, Daniel Prince

Let's stop beating up on Harbor Freight. I think it's the shippers fault. If they left it on your door step it sounds like it was shipped.I think enough has been said. GT

No, what "they" need to do is drop it, PERIOD!
It's getting old and lame......like me......

I have had packages that said on them signature required left by UPS on my porch. I am almost always home and often UPS will leave packages on the porch without even ringing the door bell.

Same here. It has happened too many times to me. I've long since given up on UPS, even for my business. All of my suppliers are told not to ship via UPS, and any outgoing deliveries are sent via other couriers.

I am GLAD they leave the packages on my porch! You know how much of a pain in the ass it is to come home and find a slip telling you that "We attempted to make a delivery" and then you have to haul ass 30 minutes away to try and pick up the package before the place closes?
I bought a PVC 1/4" air line from HF. It lasted 6 minutes before it ruptured at about 100 PSI. What a POS product.
Ignoramus1946 wrote:

I 2nd & 3rd that. They opened here a while back, and I'd been avoiding going there, 'cause I knew most (probably all) of their stuff is cheap import crap. Finally couldn't resist, and bought a muffler pipe expander. It was a only $15, and figured I'd try 'em, and hey, if it worked only once, I'd win. Stripped the treads on it the very 1st time I tried to use it. And I was using only hand tools, and was heating the pipe to a cherry red before trying to expand it and before inserting the expander. Repaired it by using a long grade 5 bolt & nut. The original compression bolt was made from very soft metal. Should take the whole damn thing back, but I won't bother for $15. Another thing I will not take back is myself.
Won't go there again, I hope. I M...U...S...T R...E...S...I...S...T, M....U...S...T RESIST! Buyer beware.
Thanks, Steve

going
crap.
There is some pure junk on their shelves, that's for sure. On the other hand, I've bought some stuff there that was a really good buy. Bulk nylon rope - can't beat the price. I bought 600 feet for $9.00. Body tools - I bought a slap spoon there for under $10 and have used the hell out of it. Air hose - I bought 3/8 Goodyear hose there for 1/2 the price of places around here. Works just like a decent air hose should. Grinder wheels, wire wheels, cutoff wheels - all a fraction of the price other places and they are perfectly fine wheels. Clamps - both woodworking and body clamps - much cheaper and they work. Braising rod - a hell of a lot cheaper at HF. Digital micrometer and dial indicator - both a good buy there. Jack stands - the best buy around. There's plenty of stuff that you can buy at HF and save a ton of money compared to other places. You just have to know what you're looking for and how to recognize junk, and be a little selective in what you spend your money on there.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Red Neckerson wrote:

So do I, but they (as well as the others) are instructed (and we keep same drivers pretty well, fortunately) to leave stuff in the shop, not out in the open. On the farm, I don't worry much...in town I'd not even think of it.
It's a lot less pita to go get or have them deliver at another time than it is to follow-up on a stolen delivery...
I guess it's a calculated risk by UPS on whether it's cheaper in the long run to lose a few as compared to keeping drivers on schedule...

Agreed.
I WAS talking about home delivery. I do not think I'd want them just to leave a package sitting outside the door at my place of business.....
Red Neckerson wrote: ...

I know...many places of which I'm aware, including a significant part of town here, I'd never expect anything to last 10 minutes on a doorstep---too many sticky-fingered kids and transients...
On 1/16/2005 10:40 AM US(ET), Red Neckerson took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

They are usually more service oriented towards businesses, especially if you have a good looking secretary or receptionist that they can chat with for a few minutes.
--
Bill