Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Page 4 of 16
G&M wrote:

Indeed. But then you would have all those grotty no hoper suits cluutering up the countryside and suburbanising it even more.
I say have a quiet word with Osama, and poison the whole of london.
Where is shipman when you need him?

terrace
five
whole
Manchester.
it
Oh brainwashed one. Only 7.5% of the land is built on. Too much of it to build to make any impact at all.

IMM wrote:

Thats because as a nation we like to have gaps between houses and towns.
It provides places to put teh roads and raliways, walk the dogs, and plant the odd tree.
30% occupancy of land is very high desnity urban stuf.
7.5% is still very very full, when you allow for the huge tracts of land in te UK that are completely isolated and not sutuable for building on at all.

We don't have gaps worth talking about between houses. Between towns there are massive gaps of nothing, while house will crammed together. Sounds all wrong to me. Spread out.

Prey tell! What and where is this elusive land. Very little of the UK cannot be built on.

IMM wrote:

How do they fit the streets in then? Just curious?

No there are not. The gps are all filled with something. Even if its woodland where deer live, or farmland where food is grown and animals live. Or even the odd raliway and/or motorway.
Land is not solely there for your barbecue and decking IMM.

I have told you, but youy totally refused to listen. Take a plane and fly iover, or better still drive up to, the scottish highlands.
I have driven for HOURS across the north of scotland. There is no one there. There are plenty of derelict cottages going for a song. I suggest you move up there.
There are hundreds of square miles of places that do not even have a road. Why? Because there is nothing there anyone wants to get to really. A bit of timber, thats all. And a few deer.
The only use of this land - which is worthless of course - is for people like you to use it in a stupid statistics that shows that huge tracts of the actually useless bits of the country are owned by a few poor sods who can't make money out of it.
As part of your fearful hate campaihgn against common sense.

The gaps between "houses" are small, far too small.

Yes they are.

Most of it is subsided little-profitable agricultural land.

What the hell is it there for? It is to be used for the benefit of the people, not to make large landowners richer.

I have driven and flow all overrthe UK. Most is habitable, like 95% plus.

The land is owned by the cal Duke or whoever he is.

No roads because people are excluded.

Nonsense!
< snip babble >

it
there
all
Well, there are considerable areas of Scotland that are definitely unsuitable for numerous reasons. Look at the 225 sq km centred on NO 019 979, 225 sq km centred on NH 124 342, 225 sq km centred on NC 717 249, 225 sq km centred on SH 752 296, etc, etc...
Cheers Clive

towns.
Nonsense. Towns can be even built up the side Ben Nevis, as they are in the Alps. There is lots of open moorland that towns can be built on. Only flood plains prevent building. Very little of the UK cannot be built on.

Ben Nevis isn't in the Alps.

Clearly not. Unless you add the word "should" to your sentence.
Christian.

It is still a "small" mountain. Towns in the Alps are built far high in more dramatic topology.

Ahhh ... but can we spot that there was an economic incentive for people to settle there? They really didn't do it just because they thought it would be a well 'ard place to live that would impress the likes of you!!

Missed the point.

al wrote:

You will probably have noitced that in the alps, there are things called 'alpine meadows' which make excellent grazing for goats, sheep and cows, and produce some of the best milk and cheese in that part of the world.
its also conveniently near major population centers like Munich, and most of swirtzerland, and has a huge tourist industry.
Contrast with teh scottish highlands, which is bloody miles from anywhere, and apart from game and forestry, has no useable resources at all...being teh scaped clkean by galaciation remnants ogf a mountain range, with no soil, not mucgh sun, and bloody awful winters. And midges. Never forget the midges.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Midges are impossible to forget. It amazes me how few people in midge-infested areas, have window screens. With summers like the last one, the choice was between being roasted, or bitten. Well, not at my house - I made midge-proof screens for my windows.
Sheila
IMM wrote:

Sure - you can build there - but then you have to have jobs to support the population, and services need to be provided. There WOULD be tons more people in northwest Scotland, if they could find ways to make a living there. That's one of the reasons I have family members scattered all over the world - they found it difficult (if not impossible) to make a living in the north.
Sheila Upper Melness Sutherland
. That's one of the reasons I have family members scattered all over

Don't worry! After another 5 years of IMM's friends, Tony and Gordon, together with the Scottish Parliament, the rest of the family and the Scottish population will have gone to join them! You'll be able to live abroad and with lower taxes, just by visiting relatives! Regards Capitol

the
That is not the point. Some of the brainwashed here were saying that huge tracts of the UK can't support any building, which is total nonsense. 99% of the UK can support building, jobs and economy is another matter.

IMM wrote:

Not much point in building houses that no-one can or will live in.
wrote

the
huge
99%
Once again the point was missed. Please focus.
BTW, put a village half way up Be Nevis and it would be a big hit.

IMM wrote:

I'm quite focused, thank you.

With second-home owners and holiday-makers, perhaps.