Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Page 2 of 16
Richard Faulkner wrote:

If you cast your mind back to 2002, C4 did 'From House to Home' when SB and a bloke from Changing Rooms did up a house by a room each week taking it from a blank box to quite tasty fairly quickly, plus a garden by The Daily Mail's columnist.

are doing? Property Ladder USA
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/printedition/chi-0312070233dec07,0,2399592.column?coll=chi-newscorrections-hed
SB fact hunters might want to check Sarah Lucinda Beeny's 10 directorships at Companies House.
It's all getting boring now - same story each week, so bring back Kevin, and Nigel & Nippy in France
--
Toby.

I'd like to know how Nigel got on with that very attractive French lady. She was gorgeous! Probably the only reason I kept watching.
MM
Mike Mitchell wrote:

Won't have long to find out, 'A Curry in France' is published at the beginning of February presumably to tie in with the upcoming series.
--
Toby.

writes

The amateurs make themselves look like idiots. Beeny does strongly say where they are doing it wrong and explains why. Though some have overruled her and it has worked.
Those two were in management. How did they do their jobs right with that sort of logic.

IMM wrote in message ...

They were probably in the IR or the NHS!
Regards Capitol

Yes, Thatcher inflated their management tiers.

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:23:07 +0000, Mike Mitchell

I thought the final minute sais they had turned down an offer for half a million and were holding out for a higher offer.
No-one wrote:

I loved the way they casually said they'd had a half million quid offer and then said they were holding out for more. I have a sneaking suspicion they made the offer up to avoid looking silly.
--
Scott

Mike Mitchell wrote:

I would have divrced that red headed know it all bitch immediately.
In fact, I wouldn't have married her in the first place.
What a tosser.
Typical bloody art fart all confidence and no bloody sense, and completely unable to distinguish between property development and an ego statement on interior design.

I don't think it was a tussle at all. It was a wry shrug of teh shoulders as Mrs Knowitall wasted huge amounts of her husbands money and everyones time proving that people who think they are 'designers' can't run a business project.

I especially liked the bit at the end...
Presenter: "Will you do it again?" Weird Woman: "Yes" Presenter: "Eh?!?!" Weird Woman: "Yes, and i'm going to be working on other people's projects too..."
I only hope these 'other people' watched her spank her husband's cash away so readily!!!
AJN

Presumably you missed out on BBC2's 'new' version of C4's 'no going back' in which a bunch of clueless tossers decided to run a bar stroke restaurant in Portugal despite never having run a bar or restaurant anywhere before?
It was most comical, particularly the husband who just acted like a total control freak in a gale of opposition from his parents who had good advice, which was presumably just what the programme makers wanted.
I don't think it was a coincidence that he looked and acted like Chris Evans. (ex Radio 1 DJ, and let's focus on the 'ex') -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
Witchy wrote:

Oh, yes. Saw some of that and found it too depressing.
Everyone thinks its easy running a business. I've run three. Its a total bitch. Everyone thinks making a profit is just about spending money and having a decent end result. It isn't. You are dealing with two large numbers - cost and return. They are always close together - never more than a few percent apart. Profit consists in tuning the cost down below the return.
A veruy old acquaintance of mine bought a computer parts distributin business from someone years ago. The seller remarked that what he wanted to do was 'something with computers' but what he ended up doing ws 'fine tuning the cashflow'
An instinctive appreaciation of cost benefit analysis is the one and only absolute pre-requisite for running a PROFITABLE business.
However, as one of my ex-colleagues remarked, 'you don't need to make money to make money' and proved it by selling his loss making business to someone else at a huge profit, who sold it on to...yes. Worldcom!

No. The world is largely composed of two sorts of people, those that ar tossers, and accept it, and those that are tossers, but think they are actually clever.
Those who are actally disciplined enough, or simply motivated enough to learn from mistakes and refine their businesses towards eventual profit, are few and far between.
After all its always much easier to PRETEND that you are clever, and hope to thereby sucker someone else out of their money.
I have observed that most would-be entrepreneurs are, in teh final analysis, not actually interested in actually making money. They are interested more in "being, and being seen to be, entrepreneurs"
I ermembver vivisly the TV program that featured Clive Sincialr and Alan Sugra. Whilst clive raved on about te technical merits of the 8088 versus the z80, Alan sugar merely remarked that 'he didn't understand all that technical stuff, he just wanted to get a product that worked out to the sort of customers he understood at a price they could afford'
Guess who is still in business...
Good business is essentially boring attention to detail with a sprinkling of vision and luck thrown in.
It makes boring TV.

IMM springs to mind :-)

ATB
Kris

LOL. so funny. Read and learn.

IMM wrote:

I suspect the comment came as a direct result of following the course of action you prescribe....actually ;-)

I have to say it was unintentionally hilarious in places :)

These people obviously just thought they had to cook some food and collect the takings at the end of the day......hehe.....

I'm not organised enough to even consider running a company unless I end up being an IT contractor using the services of an umbrella company to do all my taxes etc.

Guess which ones make 'good telly'.

They both are, though with considerably less publicity for one of them. Uncle Clive is still trying to make small things and Alan Sugar is slashing prices to stay profitable, assuming he's actually profitable.

I'd watch it. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
Mike Mitchell wrote:

more substantial with smaller gaps?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Yes they are very specific about this. I believe a 300mm sphere should not be able to go through anywhere. Presumably this is to simulate a child's head
"BillR" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in message

Try 100mm.

You know some weird looking kids :)
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:23:07 +0000, Mike Mitchell

Nadir or zenith ?
It made you watch. It caused a reaction. That might be bad property development, but it's good TV.

Who is Sarah Beeney ? Does she _do_ anything, or is she just someone on the telly ?