Re: New Electrical Regulations

Page 9 of 13  
Mary Fisher wrote:

Huh? So how do you explain why reversing into a space is easier than driving in?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You obviously don't practise reversing into spaces therefore there's no point in trying to convert you to good sense.
Mary

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't need to practice; I reverse into spaces all the time, I hardly ever drive in - I even reverse into the drive (and so does SWMBO) even though we live on a quiet street not a main road.
I think we have our wires crossed here. I made the comment about "rear wheel steering" which you called "silly". I then asked you for your explanation of why reversing into a space was easier; I didn't mean why do you think reversing is better than driving in forwards, I meant what do you think the reason it is better since you obviously don't think it's having what is effectively rear wheel steering. Perhaps if I'd accented 'you' in "how do *you* explain..." it would have been clearer.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You need to practise your spelling.
I reverse into spaces all the time, I hardly

It's even more important on a main road.

Perhaps. I don't feel that it's necessary to explain the manoevre to someone who understands. There's no point explaining to someone who thinks he knows better.
Mary

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mary Fisher wrote:

Probably.
You mean one of these?
http://www.akvintage.co.uk/vehicles_1965_Humber.I.htm
A bloke down the road had one when I was a lad - we all thought he was a posh git (probably because it had 4 headlights). Nice car though.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
derek wrote:

Can I add to those the people who drive up to a roundabout, stop and then look to see if anything is coming. If only they'd look as they're approaching then they'd be able to make better progress by not having to stop and then set off again.

That's not just limited to a few women though, there's a multi storey car park not too far from here that has 3 bays between each pillar and you can guarantee that the first people to park will always go for the middle bay and drive in forwards. To me it's easier to back in to one next to the pillars as there's less chance of anyone knocking doors into you and you get an easier drive out of the space because you're facing the right way.

Don't see any of that round here (Lincolnshire) because we don't have any motorways (I lie a little there, there is some about 60m away), which raises another question, how are we supposed to learn how to use them? I didn't even get out of a 30mph limit on my driving test never mind getting onto anything like a busy dual carriageway or the like. It's laughable really when the powers that be decide that the current driving test is capable of determining whether a person is safe to be on the roads or not.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Aren't the M180 and M181 in Lincs any more then?
--
Woody

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

As I said there are a few miles of motorway but as they're 67 miles away I don't really count them but yes, they are in Lincs.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

--
geoff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:12:04 +0100, Martin Angove

A mere bagatelle.

Firstly I don't break speed limits (within the limits of measurement), the mileage I do I couldn't afford to pick up the points, Licence still blemish free, and I don't make any excuses for those who do. I currently drive 22,000 miles per year (440 miles today) and have been driving since 1967, odd years it has been up to 40K.
IME people intentionally driving 20 mph over the limit are simply likely to continue doing just that. It's what they do and they have a whole range of reason . People in the wrong lane / not indicating /hesitating/puzzling over their task come into a different category called "Incompetants", they are incapable of doing any better, I've seen about 40 instances today. Most of them seem to adopt abnormal postures sitting at the wheel sitting bolt upright gripping the wheel, white knuckled, hanging on for dear life, and have facial features that would be taken as indicating "Low grade intelligence" (Think Mr Bean) elsewhere. A great many simply don't know where they are, or where they are going (seriously).
For the PC brigade these terms were taken directly from my Uni. course in Psychology.

Do you also laugh at your own jokes?

No, they aren't racing. There is a definition of racing. They might well chose to drive fast, you might not like it, it might be over the limit, but it's not racing, which is a different offence.

That is very unusual, but by no means impossible. On the Leeds ring road near Elland Road, on "Football" days ring road traffic gets a single green phase lasting *4 seconds* every 2nd iteration and there 4 car phases and an all stop pedestrian phase every iteration. Football traffic seems to get a couple of minutes of green phase.
Have it changed.

Indeed, they would not.
But you said "Blithely" now justify it.

All in all, rather too much detail for a usenet post methinks.

I see you do too. :-)
And, in all honestly I think you should campaign to have the speed limit over the whole lot reduced to 30 mph, on account of the hidden dips USW ... And a pedestrian crossing of some sort created somewhere where it would be safe(st). We have campaigned for, & got a Pelicon crossing, a school crossing warden, and 2 speed cameras (for this financial year).
Bear in mind tho that the local police said that when they put a mobile camera on the A643 outside the school entrance all the speeders they caught were locals. :-)) What was it Preacher mend thyself?
DG
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'm trying to work out where you are.
The planners want us to have pillows (or is it cushions?) and 'gated' streets with a 20mph limit. I'm all for it and assumed everyone would be but they're not. My neighbour even said he opposed it because it would bring down the value of his property.
Mary Chapeltown

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Which describes our estate. And our street is narrow and few people park their cars in their drives, yet drivers still drive up and down at far more than the 30 limit. People have been injured. Worse, people park their cars on the pavements, thus forcing pedestrians (yes, there are quite a lot because there's a nursery at the bottom of the street) to walk on the road.

There are quite a lot near us. The other week I drove along Spencer Place and it was a pleasure.
The item you mention was in the streets where one of our daughters lives, it was a wonderful success and subsequent traffic calming has worked, it's a pleasure to walk round the Methleys now. There was another reason for the streets being congested, that's been eliminated after community action. It took a long time but it was worth it.

No, you're wrong. It was born of desperation and achieved its purpose in the end. It was also a lot of fun.

No, it's daft to say that.

We've had an Escort and we have a scooter. I've never had a problem with any vehicle on the highest bumps (the ones at Templenewsam are the most vicious I've ever seen anywhere) because when we see them we slow right down. That is, they achieve their aim.

I doubt it. We don't want to have to repair vehicles for the sake of saving a few seconds.

They shouldn't be doing that anyway.

In truth I've never seen that claim. Not for 3-4 year olds.

So do I. But boy racers protest. Middle aged boy racers say that they damage their vehicles, that their civil rights are infringed, that they haven't time to slow down in their busy lives.
I say that if vehicles couldn't do more than 20 mph they'd be happy driving at that speed - providing the limit was 10 mph.

I've spent quite a lot of time with the planners about this matter. I wanted them to remove the tarmac from the cobbles at the bottom of the street, one of them said it would damage vehicles which were travelling at more than 20mph. But if the limit is 20mph ... ???????
Incidentally the cobbles were covered with black only when a Labour Lord Mayor was having his induction service at our local church. It was decided that U1 couldn't be risked. It had been OK for hoi polloi until then.
I reckon that when - if? - the traffic calming is undertaken here it could be a Good Thing because they might fill in the holes in the road at the same time. If they don't they'll have to answer to me.
Mary

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Was it a pleasure because of the road or what certain 'ladies' of that area were displaying 'on offer?'
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
[snip]

CLODS - the Centre-Lane Owner-Drivers Society BOLOC - the British Off-Side Lane Owners Club
--
Woody

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Martin Angove (ma)writes:

The highway code is a "guide". If there are no other vehicles, and you takes the shortest route across the roundabout (not over), like doing a chicane, and not indicated, then you have not broken any law, as you are not reckless and driving dangerously. Do it when there are cars all over the place and you have broken a law.
--
--

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
Version: 6.0.507 / Virus Database: 304 - Release Date: 04/08/2003
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

a> The highway code is a "guide". If there are no other vehicles, and you a> takes the shortest route across the roundabout (not over), like doing a a> chicane, and not indicated, then you have not broken any law, as you are not a> reckless and driving dangerously. a) Just because it is not illegal, that does not mean it is not stupid. People who assume there are no other vehicles around are an accident waiting to happen.
b) Watch the traffic at a roundabout in full daylight in busy condiftions and count how many vehicles indicate and change lane properly.
I used to have to cross near a roundabout where for whatever reason the council hadn't put a controlled crossing, so got a pretty good idea how many drivers have any clue about things like indicators.
Later they did put in a crossing, which gave me an ideal opportunity to learn how many drivers pay any attention to traffic lights.
Lifetime bans and car confiscation for the first serious or the second minor breach of the `guide' would make life better for everyone sane.
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

jr> If you think the prospect of most of the British public driving jr> uninsured and without a license would be "better" that is! Hard to drive after your car is confiscated a few times.
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

jr> Borrow someone else's.... (or at least their registration) ;-) They do that already.
jr> Hey why not tie it into sat nav and GPS speed sensing etc, you could jr> have the car automatically shop you the moment you go over the speed jr> limit. Don't be such a soppy liberal. A poison dart shooting out of the steering wheel would seem to be the absolute minimum.
jr> That would pretty soon get everyone off the road - you jr> included. Fancy that? Wouldn't affect me.
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
John Rumm wrote:

I'm game for that if it means a worthwhile decrease in road tax, insurance etc.

Or too sensible to be acted on.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"John Rumm" wrote | Hey why not tie it into sat nav and GPS speed sensing etc, you could | have the car automatically shop you the moment you go over the speed | limit. That would pretty soon get everyone off the road - you included. | Fancy that? | (As with most suggestions of this type, they amount to nothing more than | unenforceable nonsense when placed under scrutiny)
Didn't Nostradamus write that, a long time in the future, iron would float?
Then we put a man on the moon.
Then we started London congestion charging.
It's only hard until it hasn't been done.
Owain
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.