Re: New Electrical Regulations

Not quite true. I was insured with them and dove a Beetle at the time. Drove it into the side of an E Type Jaguar who injudiciously attempted to cross the road in front of me. We were both insured with them.

My memory is that the other insurance companies convinced the government to keep raising the bar, (i.e.) the amount of funds required as indemnity to run an insurance company, to the point were the fledgling business couldn't comply.

It always made more sense to me to insure the driver rather than the car.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Good idea, Martin. Radio 4 is one of the few broadcast media for the sentient and this could be worth doing.

I'll contact them....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It was a joke. I didn't add a smiley coz I thought it would have been obvious, but here it is, even if somewhat late :-)

I think I remember which one you are talking about, but thank you for the complement implying that I am too young ;-)

Obviously, since you effectively have rear wheel steering so you can swing the back (front) in.

I wasn't going too, but I remember watching a programme on Sky about inventions which featured a turntable that could be recessed into the drive so you could drive in, rotate the car, and drive out. One (oldish) guy (note, not woman) they interviewed who had bought one of these things (at a cost of several thousand pounds) lived on a main road and said that the turntable had been a godsend, and worth every penny, as "everybody speeds along this road" and finished with the statement that he "had once been involved in an accident whilst reversing out of the drive". The interviewer failed to point out that he *caused* the accident, or they edited it out.

Reply to
parish

As I said there are a few miles of motorway but as they're 67 miles away I don't really count them but yes, they are in Lincs.

Reply to
James Hart

It was the reckless vs positive driving comparison you made

Reply to
geoff

I didn't say anything about the signs, I said roadworks

I do ignore advisory motorway signs which I no longer have any faith in.

Reply to
geoff

That shows commendable anticipation of a potential problem.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Do you mean compliment?

I didn't mean your age, I meant that it's rather a rare car. Not many people know of it.

Don't be silly.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed, one could even imagine oneself on the Atlanta ring road or I10 in Houston!! Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Maxie, I did not sidestep, being a superb tango dancer.

Reply to
IMM

Huh? So how do you explain why reversing into a space is easier than driving in?

Reply to
parish

Probably.

You mean one of these?

bloke down the road had one when I was a lad - we all thought he was a posh git (probably because it had 4 headlights). Nice car though.

Reply to
parish

g> It was the reckless vs positive driving comparison you made

Which I never made.

All I have said is that people who think they are good drivers are usually the worst drivers.

Reply to
Richard Caley

That was what I thought and said - and got flamed for it.

Go dig around the DoT web site and you'll see what I mean. There are now only two lines the gutter, double yellow is 24/7, single yellow is everything else defined by signage.

Reply to
harrogate

IMM attended the university of life. But not as we know it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

And the pillock driving within the speed limit down a narrow street with cars parked both sides. There are plenty of instances where 30 is excessive, and presumably illegal if circumstances dictate. Reminds me of a friend who refers to his credit card limit as a "target".

Reply to
stuart noble

doh! I should haave said "cos they make the world seem normal again"

Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

McKay

The way these new regulations read and by the advice I've had, it is still OK to do DIY electrical jobs in your own property, but if you want to carry out any commercial installations or alterations, then you'll need the services of a qualified and registered tradesman. Or am I reading and being advised wrongly ?

Anyway, it boils down to competency of doing the job, as Corgi registration currently is, and if or when you come to sell or rent the property you'll need an approved certificate to satisfy surveyors and solicitors reports.

Reply to
BigWallop

I believe so.

For gas installation work the Statutory Instrument, the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 stipulate that the person doing the work must be competent. It does not define that. However it goes on to say that people doing gas fitting work for reward must be a member of "a class of persons" defined by the HSE. The HSE separately defines that as membership of CORGI.

In addition, the Approved Documents to the Building Regulations relating to fuel burning appliance installation and energy saving (parts J and L1) say that the requirements in respect to the B Regs. are satisfied if the work is done by a "member of the class of persons" i.e. CORGI member. Alternatively one can issue a Building Notice.

So you can DIY inside the law from the perspective of the GSIUR if you are competent, but would still need to go for a building notice.

The proposed electrical wiring aspect of the Building Regulations does not have an equivalent the GSIUR, so the proposed requirement is simply in relation to the Building Regs. and the work is exempted if a NICEIC member does it.

For DIY work, you would have to issue a building notice, legally speaking.

However there is a minor works exemption, which allows you to DIY a few things such as spurs and other small works as long as they are not in a kitchen or bathroom, but not circuits or the like.

That will certainly be true, and in one sense is not a change.

I suspect that what will happen in practice is that people will ignore the legislation and get a survey done under the circumstances you describe.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You obviously don't practise reversing into spaces therefore there's no point in trying to convert you to good sense.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher