Re: New Electrical Regulations

If you have a company car then your pay a lot less tax on a low CO2 car - I got a 60/pm tax cut from April 2002. There's no exact correlation between CO2 and power but in general CC drivers will pay a lot more for power (higher percentage tax band x higher price)

Not quite true. I was insured with them and dove a Beetle at the time. Drove it into the side of an E Type Jaguar who injudiciously attempted to cross the road in front of me. We were both insured with them.
My memory is that the other insurance companies convinced the government to keep raising the bar, (i.e.) the amount of funds required as indemnity to run an insurance company, to the point were the fledgling business couldn't comply.
It always made more sense to me to insure the driver rather than the car.
Paul Mc Cann

This might be the theory, but in practice the US has plenty of it's own kind of "nonsense". e.g. corporate sponsored legislation and legistation never actually read by legislators.

Nothing to stop such a law being passed in the US, since they are a signatory to the "Treaty of the Metre" and the ability to regulate weights and measures is explicitally in the US Constitution.

No doubt there is a lobbying group claiming that speed cameras trample of people's basic rights...

approved
allow
is
clarified is

who
from
federation of

So, as I own a small business, nothing to do with electrical work, I can apply to the FSB and will be therefore be able to self-cert electrical work in my own home? I doubt it, somehow.

is
certificate,
aswell.
Why is this a problem? Incompetent people, perhaps, but qualification is not a guarantee of competence, and lack of qualification is most certainly not an indication of incompetence.

there
and
So does this make a house that does not conform to current regs unsaleable? That kind of makes the wiring regs retrospective legislation.

-- Richard Sampson

I agree that on a bog standard installation any chimp could do it - the difference is knowing which is a bog standard and which isn't - and why. When I took the 16th edition one of the questions required you to work out the size of an earth conductor. The answer appeared to be a rediculous size but when you factored in the losses / grouping / temperature etc. you could see why it was necessary. How many unqualified diy'ers would have fitted the correct size?

of
copper
unsaleable?
It shouldn't, the (electrical) regs are neither retrospective or legislation.
Richard

is
certainly
size
could
the
Most DIYers would know that the earth cable is always the largest

gas regs are semi retrospective. A landlord has to get his installation up to scratch. For e.g., each hob requires an isolation tap, which 5, 10 years it didn't. So has to put one in.

Er no. In standard T/E cable the earth conductor is smaller than the other two.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

why.
out
fitted
I mean at the CU.

Hi
Several points in one... (several contributors)

see
No you

In fact in Britain we deal in pounds and kilos, and have done for a very long time. Pounds are one of our standard universal measures. Britain has used pounds for a _very_ long time, and still does, very widely.

said
Official being the word (meaning 'of office'). Our real world standard measures of weight are kilos and pounds, but our officialdom seems to have become estranged from that somehow. There is no moral superiority in kilos over pounds, and local government should not be attempting to enforce something that simply has no value. In truth his selling in pounds was (in itself) a non issue.
The _real_ idiot in Sunderland should not have wasted public money and time, and destroyed the local governments credibility by prosecuting the market trader who was going about his normal honest and decent business.
Government relies on public goodwill to work, and if they start playing that kind of game round here the goodwill's gonna evaporate quickly. Then when they ask for the public's assistance they get told where to...
Unfortunately this has happened in several areas with the police, and the result is high crime in some places, because the public simply wont co-operate there. Government bodies need to remember what theyre there for, because public goodwill does matter. It matters because when that goes, everyone suffers.

about
Changing cable insulation colours, from red/black to blue/brown.

the
why.
work out

rediculous size

could
fitted the

This isnt a serious safety issue. A 1mm2 CPC is sufficient to pop any RCD (or lighting ring wire fuse), even when uncompliant with regs. You're confusing regs with the sort of safety level that is necessary in private dwellings.
To assess the relevance of different measures one has to look at the consequences of not carrying them out: a smaller than regs CPC will still work effectively.
Dont forget what we see is only the beginning. Obviously they're not introducing all the control at once.
Regards, NT

Sorry Andy - the master has spoken
--
geoff

the
why.
out
fitted
Tell him geoff.

Exactly. The way I see it there will be more people refusing to carry out work due to the restrictions imposed by the new regulations. That will leave fewer practitioners in the industry. Those that are left will most likely charge more. End result could be that the end user decides to do the job himself, without any regard to the regs at all.
We could easily see more deaths and injury result from the stupid application of these regulations.
Andrew

NICEIC electrician does not mean 'qualified'.

Deaths due to electrical installation faults in the home runs at around 5 per year, and falling. Deaths due to other accidental incidents in the home runs at around 2350 per year, most of which are from slips trips and falls, and although I have no figures, I'll but many more than 5 of these are already caused by tripping over extension leads.
Fortunately, I doubt anyone will take any notice of the new regs, and people will continue to improve the safety of their homes. This, combined with the Window regs and some other upcoming Building regs increasingly discredit the building regs as a whole, which is regrettable. I spoke with my Building Control department when I did my response to the proposals, and they had this view. Unfortunately, they were not able to go on record, but they did privately support me, completely agreed with my response, and wished me the best of luck.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On 18 Aug 2003 01:53:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Do you have a source for these figures please?
Andrew
Andrew McKay

Or allow people proper access to land and build bungalows.

Andrew McKay

Aaaaaaagh.
I think I now understand why people take hard drugs to escape from reality.....
-- Richard Sampson

Reality?
--
geoff

<snip>

doh! I should haave said "cos they make the world seem normal again"
Richard
-- Richard Sampson
Andrew McKay

Yes all those steps.

Andrew McKay

The way these new regulations read and by the advice I've had, it is still OK to do DIY electrical jobs in your own property, but if you want to carry out any commercial installations or alterations, then you'll need the services of a qualified and registered tradesman. Or am I reading and being advised wrongly ?
Anyway, it boils down to competency of doing the job, as Corgi registration currently is, and if or when you come to sell or rent the property you'll need an approved certificate to satisfy surveyors and solicitors reports.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com