Re: New Electrical Regulations

Many Americans wouldn't wear seatbelts since it was an intrusion on their liberty. So airbags arrived. And you're now paying for their stupidity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You like being ripped off, don't you?

Reply to
IMM

Most DIYers would know that the earth cable is always the largest

gas regs are semi retrospective. A landlord has to get his installation up to scratch. For e.g., each hob requires an isolation tap, which 5, 10 years it didn't. So has to put one in.

Reply to
IMM

Er no. In standard T/E cable the earth conductor is smaller than the other two.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The Tory party is the party of landowners. That is its origins. The large land owners had a little word with Mickey and said leave the 1947 T&C planning act alone as it keeps us in clover and we help fund the parties propaganda machine. The Church of England probably said something similar as they rely on rents to run the church. The Catholic doesn't, it funds its church through its own fund raising not ripping people off in taking rents.

Blair is the only PM in modern history that is seriously tackling constitutional change. He has to stay. The banana republic has to go.

Reply to
IMM

I mean at the CU.

Reply to
IMM

True. I didn't say that any of the alternatives were any better though.

Some competition of having more organisations able to certify, and a broader range of qualifications rather than just trade organisations would be positive.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
IMM

Hi

Several points in one... (several contributors)

In fact in Britain we deal in pounds and kilos, and have done for a very long time. Pounds are one of our standard universal measures. Britain has used pounds for a _very_ long time, and still does, very widely.

Official being the word (meaning 'of office'). Our real world standard measures of weight are kilos and pounds, but our officialdom seems to have become estranged from that somehow. There is no moral superiority in kilos over pounds, and local government should not be attempting to enforce something that simply has no value. In truth his selling in pounds was (in itself) a non issue.

The _real_ idiot in Sunderland should not have wasted public money and time, and destroyed the local governments credibility by prosecuting the market trader who was going about his normal honest and decent business.

Government relies on public goodwill to work, and if they start playing that kind of game round here the goodwill's gonna evaporate quickly. Then when they ask for the public's assistance they get told where to...

Unfortunately this has happened in several areas with the police, and the result is high crime in some places, because the public simply wont co-operate there. Government bodies need to remember what theyre there for, because public goodwill does matter. It matters because when that goes, everyone suffers.

Changing cable insulation colours, from red/black to blue/brown.

rediculous size

This isnt a serious safety issue. A 1mm2 CPC is sufficient to pop any RCD (or lighting ring wire fuse), even when uncompliant with regs. You're confusing regs with the sort of safety level that is necessary in private dwellings.

To assess the relevance of different measures one has to look at the consequences of not carrying them out: a smaller than regs CPC will still work effectively.

Dont forget what we see is only the beginning. Obviously they're not introducing all the control at once.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Anti airbag fan by any chance? Don't forget that Volvo were slammed by the safety experts for 3 point seatbelts.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The person who started this thread said that this option was barred to him. As he has C&G in the current regs (FWIW) there must be some other qualification that is required that can't just be bought (using the word somewhat loosely).

tim

Reply to
tim

This is one option, the even worse one is that now that major works will only be allowed by 'qualified' people their hourly rate will go up and they will be disinclined to do micky-mouse jobs,k which will result in unqualified people doing it themselves.

Tim

Reply to
tim

Selling us down the river more like.

I guess you might be relatively young, at an age where you don't need to worry about your pension yet. I hope your words of support come back to haunt you in the years ahead when you realise that your old age is going to be spent in hopeless poverty, with an NHS system that has not improved one iota.

Don't read that wrong - I fully support the NHS and recognise it has to be funded from the public purse. However throwing money at problems has never worked and will never work. The UK population hasn't quite woken up to that fact yet because the Labour spin machine is still doing an admirable job.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Sorry Andy - the master has spoken

Reply to
geoff

The only constitutional change Bliar is interested in is that which gives him more power. I agree that the banana republic has to go, but as it is inextricably linked with My Little Tony, he has to go with it.

Reply to
Gary Cavie

You are in Tecky land like the others here. Constitutional change: House of Lords (a big one), the Lord Chancellor, and much, much more.

What part of Little Middle England do you come from?

Reply to
IMM

Delusion. You are never better with the Tories when a working man. Never. Look at what the party is about.

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

You left out the word "f*ck-up"

Reply to
geoff

You are right! The House of Lords was f*ck-up.

Reply to
IMM

Tell him geoff.

Reply to