Re: New Electrical Regulations

Page 2 of 13

The only constitutional change Bliar is interested in is that which gives him more power. I agree that the banana republic has to go, but as it is inextricably linked with My Little Tony, he has to go with it.
says...

You are in Tecky land like the others here. Constitutional change: House of Lords (a big one), the Lord Chancellor, and much, much more.
What part of Little Middle England do you come from?

says...

go.
gives
is
of
Delusion. You are never better with the Tories when a working man. Never. Look at what the party is about.

writes

You left out the word "fuck-up"

--
geoff

says...

go.
gives
is
of
You are right! The House of Lords was fuck-up.

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:48:04 +0100, John Rumm

It's Cherie that works the controls - Alastair just does the voice...... ;-)
Think of the Judy Garland version of the Wizard of Oz.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

All the brainwashed Little Middle Englanders are coming out their shells. Oh good!

says...

Huh? You believe everything Campbell tells you, yet we're the brainwashed ones? How does that work exactly?
writes

So are you, but you entertain us
--
geoff

House
Maxie, I aim to please.

One advantage the hereditary peers had over the HoC was that their justification or opposition to something wasn't based upon trying to extend their own political career, as happens so often in the HoC. There is merit in having reviewers of legislation who aren't dependent upon the whims of the electorate every 5 years.
And let us not forget that the HoL is not a law-making society. It is a law-shaping society. The HoC puts forward proposals for the statute book which are passed thru the HoL (generally speaking - there are exceptions such as the finance bill which the HoL can't touch by virtue of precedent). The HoL can debate and revise the proposals, which are then passed back to the HoC.
When you see some of the dickhead proposals which are spouted by Blunkett and others you get to feel glad that there is a 2nd chamber.
I happen to wonder how this country ever managed to get thru the last 800 years or so with the HoL which is so obviously broken.
Andrew

is,
BALLS!!! They were attempting to keep their wealth and the history of UK politic clearly indicates this. Read some history, especially re: the Irish famine and the enclosures in England and the Clearing of the crofts in Scotland. They were a self interest group, nothing more and collectively have successfully hung onto their wealth over the centuries. No other major western nation had such a ridiculous system. You obviously sucked in the propaganda.

After due consultation, maybe.
Andrew

I would agree that having the Bank of England in control of interest rates was a good move, but only places it in line with most other countries. Brown is largely ineffectual, so fortunately has not done significantly damaged the economy.
Constitutional change is sufficiently important that changes should be by referendum, not by cabinet reshuffle and hoping that nobody would notice. Whether or not constitutional change is desirable, I very much doubt whether the majority of the electorate who voted for the government has in mind giving it the carte blanche that it imagines it has.
Returning to the topic, have you read the report on the ODPM web site?
While this proposed legislation is not quite on the scale of tinkering around with the constitution, it is of importance to a lot of home owners and certainly to anybody in this NG. Does it fall under your category of "simple social responsibility laws"? In other words, do you think it's a good thing?
From the report:
- They received 490 replies of which 206 were from electrical contractors.
However they did not take into account that this group represents a vested interest in restricting who can carry out electrical work.
- 143 were forwarded to the Minister by MPs acting on behalf of their constituents, including many that were from electrical contractors (142).
If this were in the House of Commons, I would be suggesting that "they are misleading the House" - We know the meaning of that coded language. I wrote to them via my MP (and received a reply from the minister). I know of at least two other people who also did who are not electrical contractors and who were not in support of the proposals either. This means that either somebody can't add up, or something rather more serious.
- The public respondents rejected the need for independent inspectors and expressed concerns that the added costs of an independent inspector on one or more occasions would deter the DIY worker and those working in the grey/black economy from notifying work at any time.
This was ignored as were a number of other comments submitted by the public.
The report mentions that 63% of respondents were in favour of the proposed legislation, but of course they omit the correlation between that and the "main players" and "industry" groups.
One can deduce fairly easily that that correlation is quite clear.
So essentially, we have a situation where the government proposes to go with the line of following the interests of trade associations, who will gain financially and whose members will gain financially from it. They actively campaigned to their members and through the trade press.
The general public was not made aware of it, as witnessed by the small number of responses. Were there signs up in B&Q making people aware of the effective demise of DIY electrical work? No.
I think that it's going to be quite interesting when the public at large finds out about this and realises that once again they have been ignored in favour of dogma.
.. and you consider this to be socially responsible legislation?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
writes:

You are in cloud cuckoo land, Little Middle England as most would say. The closet Tory surfaces.

What on earth are you talking about?
My post was about the proposed part P to the Building Regulations.
Perhaps you would like to return to the topic and comment on that.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
writes:

The
You were on about Gordon Brown being useless. When in fact the rest of the world admire what he is doing.

writes:

That's because the rest of the world haven't noticed that he is naked.
Trying not to be political here, there was a recent report by a very influential group suggesting that GB had not done particularly well. The only reason that the world hasn't noticed is that he has been lucky that there hasn't (yet) been an obvious signs.
Tim

And of what political persuasion would that group be?

Err, the standard signs of a failing economy are rather difficult to conceal. Let's face it, the Tories tried and failed.
--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

London SW 12