Linda Barker on Working Lunch

Well, got one of those right: Last Night of the Proms, 8 pint cans of Stella, 'failed' as managed only 7, that was 19.88 units, so week's worth and job done!

Reply to
PeterC

We have a header tank, although we don't need it now. It only serves the downstairs bathroom. If the main water supply gets turned off, we still have water. So, it has its uses:)

Reply to
Ophelia

Like anything else when water is heated it expands. The header tank acts as a cheap and cheerful safety valve allowing any excess volume of water to feed back into the tank rather than cause leaks at the joints through increased pressure.

michael adams

Reply to
michael adams

Fine if you have adequate flow and pressure coming into your house. Here I don't. So it acts like a reservoir for things like fast filling of a bath. It also gives you a store of water for times when the supply is cut off for maintenance purposes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They should be covered properly.

Do you use matchsticks for joists?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All small appliances that run on mains electricity have to be supplied with a plug, and include instructions for replacing the plug.

< Surprisingly it can be a foreign plug and the flex can be made to a foreign (non - EU, typically US) standard, perhaps with the proviso that they include instructions for changing the flex>

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Originally they were part and parcel of solid fuel (typically fireback) boilers in a hot water system.

The fire/boiler held a big reservoirlot of stored heat. For safe operation of the boiler to avoid a steam explosion a big reservoir of stored cold water was required.

I've done away with ours, if I regret it a bit. The supply incoming to the 1976 house is too feeble.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

We smelled gas in our cul - de - sac for about 15 years and reported every instance.

It wasn't until a neighbour demolished a wall to build an extension he found a solder ring pipe joint buried in the wall that had never been soldered when the house was built in 1976, just pushed together.

Gas fitting was originally done by a professional.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

The water in all central heating systems is circulated by a pump. It has nothing to do with mains pressure. In open systems the water in the radiators, central heating boiler, and header tank is the same water constantly circulating around. (As it is in sealed systems which have integral expansion tanks) When it expands it goes back into the header tank and when it cools down its fed from the header tank. Any evaporation from the header tank is compenasted for by a trickle from a ball valve. The header tank should also be fitted with an overflow.

The water in the hot water system i.e the hot taps is totally separate.

michael adams

, and is just circulated repeatedly around your CH system.

The water in the central heating system is totally separate. It can either be a sealed system with an overflow tank as part of the system, or initially filled from the main including the header tank.

Reply to
michael adams

I wish we'd had header tanks when we had no mains water for 10 days a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Mark

Appliances have to be supplied with a plug fitted nowadays IIRC.

Reply to
Mark

OK, seems reasonable. Around here, older installations have a pressure reducing valve and a pipe out the roof. Modern ones have two valves and waste a bit of water when it heats up.

Reply to
Matty F

That explains it. The lady with the header tank had a wetback fire. It went rusty years ago so was not used. She phoned me to say there was water coming down from the ceiling. I told her to turn the water off at the road. When I got there, the cistern washer was stuffed, and the overflow pipe had a leak.

Reply to
Matty F

Reply to
michael adams

Is that now true for vendors in the UK please?

I know that there was consultation in 2006-07 on some changes to the regulations. And also that some non-UK companies (eg Pixmania) ship goods with French plugs and a simple plug-in adapter (rather than a convertor). But they are selling from outside the UK.

For vendors in the UK the legislation used to require for ordinary stuff (leaving stuff wired in like cookers) either a standard UK plug or "a non-UK plug complying with the safety provisions of the International Electrotechnical Commission standard IEC 884-1 (1987) and fitted with a conversion plug of a type approved for use with such a non-UK plug which encloses the fitted non-UK plug and can only be removed by the use of a tool" (to quote the ex. note to the original Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994). And that's what trading standards seem still to work to.

But I may have misunderstood and/or missed new regulations.

Reply to
neverwas

I haven't done that, have you ?

IMO he should "move on" to a different job where being trustworthy is not a requirement like shovelling shit from one shithouse to another, thus discouraging other people with similar inclinations.

Since it appears he's probably self employed publicity is the only protection the public has.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Isn't there a danger that the water will become stagnant? What do you use the water for - toilet flushing or washbasin?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

We had a programme like that one of the guys peed in the sink; this was played on in an episode of the I.T. Crowd.

Graham

Reply to
G Bell

It would appear not. :-((

I am a qualified electrical engineer, and got on my high horse with West Yorkshire Trading Standards when my daughters GHD hair straighteners blew up, burnt her, and burnt a hole in the carpet when she dropped them. It turned out this had happened several times within her small circle of friends always caused by the US standard flex hardening and cracking at the point where it entered the handle.

West Yorkshire Trading standards sent a nice lady (But only an unqualified Local Government Officer lay lady {lay lady lay ?}) to the house see me. It became clear she was only interested in protecting GHD against counterfeit products. She took away the cremated remains of the straighteners saying *only* GHD could say whether they were counterfeit or not. They weren't, and GHD replaced them as a gesture but unfortunately the "evidence" had been destroyed in the process of examination. 8-((

The ruling above re: plugs and flexes came from her. Unfortunately trading standards could not / would not produce anyone qualified to discuss this with me.

A hint of a reference to this problem here.

One wonders why West Yorkshire Trading Standards were so keen to avoid addressing the electrical safety issues. Gloucestershire Trading Standards had no such reticence.

GHD straighteners was / is a local multi million pound business. ;-)

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I think Target has had a big effect on the way tradesmen work in NZ. They often look around for cameras and sometimes find them.

Another TV channel did a spoof Target on Target programme, where cameras were put in place before the "real" Target camera installers arrived. I have never seen such disgusting things done on TV!

Reply to
Matty F