Working Lunch interview in attic office

I was watching 'Working Lunch' where it featured a guy turning his modelling hobby into a business. The business was based in his attic which was accessed solely by a pull-down ladder. How illegal is this? How much use can you put an attic to that only has a pull-down ladder as access?

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

I'm not sure that you can have degrees of 'illegal' - seems to me that something is or it isn't, although I suppose one measure is 'how likely is the person to get caught?'

It shouldn't be used as a habitable room for sure, and this would be that.

However, it would be very difficult to detect unless he had done structural modifications like the guy who pulled out roof timbers and caused the roof to sag.

In practical terms there are three ways that I can think of that he might be detected.

- There's a fire and he gets toasted because he can't escape

- Somebody finds out that he's running a business and reports him the the local authority. This may be contrary to a covenant or planning condition of when the place was built and they decide to investigate.

- He wants to sell the house - although then he could probably remove his little den.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's not

It will be classed as occasional use/storage, which doesn't require any planning regs.

Reply to
Dave Jones

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe having it featured on TV could also be a bit of a giveaway? :-)

Reply to
Jo

- He gets seen on TV...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

- He decides to feature it on a television program so everyone knows he's done it ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Conrad Edwards writes

As long as it safe - as much as you want. The ladder is no worse than ships ladders & safer than wooden stairs.

The storage of glues and paints maybe another question.

Reply to
zaax

In message , Conrad Edwards writes

Punishable by being hanged, drawn and quartered IIRC

Prolly of limited use for repairing commercial vehicles

Reply to
raden

Can you have degrees of illegality? It is almost certainly a breach of the planning regulations, but IME it is certainly not an uncommon practice. I used to have quite a large customer who ran his business from his attic and who had employees working there.

He will probably get around to fitting permanent stairs, when he gets fed up with the ladder. However, I have a couple of storage areas accessed by loft ladders in my factories. the only things the Factory Inspectors were concerned about was that they were firmly fixed and that there were adequate guard rails, with toe boards, where there was a fall hazard.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I don't know about illegality in the criminal sense but it almost certainly contravenes building regs and maybe planning depending upon the nature of the business.

It will be classed as what it is *actually* being used for, ie running a business and therefore contravenes the rules. I suggest you talk to your local BCO if you don't understand this. Some will be down on you if you do even the slightest to make it habitable like install flooring and lighting. Others may be more forgiving depending on the actual use.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

I thought habital meant sleeping up there. How would you differentiate between this guy working up there in an office and the plumber fitting a new water tank. Surely you don't have to install a fixed staircase to have a new tank fitted. I am in the process of building a model railway and the council weren't intersted, as far as they were concerned it was storage. As soon as you put a velux in though it is an entirely diffrent matter.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I would suspect that the real people he has to worry about is his house insurers. Running a business from home without getting agreement (in writing) could give them a lovely get out excuse if ever the money-flow looks like it might have to reverse direction.

Reply to
Tony Williams

heh!

I thought it was the alteration work that was subject to law, not the use afterwards. IOW if you buy a non reg compliant house its not a crime to sleep in the loft, even if its not the best thing to do.

TN

Reply to
N. Thornton