Linda Barker on Working Lunch

Unless it's an unpumped system relying on gravity/thermosyphon

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There are also indications that it reduces prostate inflammation. On a sample of one (me) it works!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm told being on them ups your travel insurance premiums, certainly once you hit 70.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I'm talking about the real world. Not Googleland, as populated by hippies and similar middle-class dropouts and yoghurt munching wannabees with solar panels on their roofs. The same types who are always banging on about Linux and how wonderful it is, as they sit there shivering in the middle of winter.

michael adams

michael adams

Why do Linux users feel the need to harp on about the fact they use it and not Windows?

Who could actually give a f*ck?

I used to work with such a person and whilst he was moaning about how crap Windows was, I reminded him that he worked in a team that supported Windows servers and it was as reliable as he would have liked it, he would've been out of a job. Idiot. He didn't moan about it again.

:o)

Reply to
Davey

"Cicero" wrote

Stored water loft tanks has been used in the past for:

Feeding indirect hot water cylinder Showers - to provide balanced pressure for hot water from above source Toilet cisterns - to provide buffer for loss of mains water Bath cold feed (not sure why)

This was the basis for the original plumbing in my 1970s house.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

You missed the statement from the post to which I replied. Poster, "We have a header tank, although we don't need it now. It only serves the downstairs bathroom. If the main water supply gets turned off, we still have water. So, it has its uses:)".

I'm well aware of the several uses for a cold water storage tank (plenty still in use) but it was the quite limited use described by Ophelia that prompted my question. If the cold water tank serves only one bathroom with possibly infrequent use then it might become stagnant and could be unsafe for emergency use - particularly for drinking, teeth cleaning etc.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Yes, it's those people who pretend to be comedians that you really have to really watch out for. :)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Bill is best. Bill is my friend. I'm presently doing some detailed drawings for panel furniture using the drawing tools in Microsoft Publisher 95 which I bought S/H boxed for around £25 in 1998. This lets you draw lines to the nearest half mm., snap to ruler marks, etc etc and print the stuff out as large as you like on multiple pages which you can then trim and stick together with rubber cement. The last time I did this was with a rapidograph pen and a ruler on A2 paper which took days, and allowed no instant corrections. But my eyes are now shot in any case from to much staring at the magic box. Although not before I'd spent a couple of days getting the rapidographs working condition again and lashing out £4.50 for a tiny (23ml) bottle of ink.

michael adams

michael adams

Potable water taps should not be fed from a header tank.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Mains gas "safety RCD" are likely to become the norm within about

10yrs.

You can already buy a valve which on full-bore escape will cut off the gas. More intelligent devices monitor appliance usage and thus will cutoff on slight leaks.

They should really be fitted in the pavement outside rather than internal pipework. Lead mains gas incomers still exist, under the stairs and complicate fire fighting.

Reply to
js.b1

Davey wibbled on Friday 25 September 2009 14:16

Since you ask, IME the TCO[1] of running a large farm of linux servers is much lower than the same in MS Windows. Plain text files are much easier to script than all manner of odd APIs (registry, AD, WETF Exchange does etc).

[1] A term MS likes to use so much.

The only thing Windows has going for it is DFS which is actually quite cool. The rest can usually be done better, cheaper and more fixably using *nix.

I think the reason linux users bang on so much, is because MS do the same, via advertising. Linux and BSD users wonder why people would pay money to do something

Then again, all my previous jobs since 2000 have involved a heavy committment to linux and a bit of windows.

Reply to
Tim W

There's plenty enough to do without the increased aggravation caused by Windows :-(

Reply to
Clive George

Fair enough, but my cardiologist told me that he reckons 100% of cardiologists are on them!

Ian

Reply to
Ian F.

In mine everything apart from the kitchen tap was off the header tank.

I've altered things to provide mains cold water to all wash basins as well. Although we cleaned teeth etc in header tank water for many a year with no ill effects. I think.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And that was effectively the point that I was making. An earlier poster, Ophelia, stated:

"We have a header tank, although we don't need it now. It only serves the downstairs bathroom. If the main water supply gets turned off, we still have water. So, it has its uses:)".

If she only uses the stored water intermittently, it may become stagnant and unfit for drinking in an emergency.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Nothing googleland about gravity hot water circulation; the are plenty of 20 odd year old boilers in daily use that have convected hot water circulation.

See C Plan here:

panels on their roofs. The same types who are always banging on about

WTF?

Reply to
John Rumm

With solid fuel heating you normally need to arrange for C plan style system water heating so that you don't lose your cooling water circulation in the event of power loss (since real fires don't go out with the electricity!)

Reply to
John Rumm

S'what we have. 28mm gravity circuit feeding one radiator and the hot tank. Pumped circuit doing the rest.

We've currently got it set to pump if the gravity circuit gets to a certain temperature, and bollocks to any attempt to time things - there simply isn't the capacity to tick over warm enough to make the thermostatic vent on the back of the stove work. though theoretically our system can do that. Much simpler now - want to heat the house? Shove some more fuel in, open the air up.

It helps that most of our time in the house is in two rooms, the one with the stove and the one with the gravity fed radiator.

Reply to
Clive George

That reminds me of a rewire I did where the owners had a teenage daughter. Her bedroom had no carpet, just polished floorboards and her bedroom was above the dining room. When we rewired the dining room light there were two cut boards above the dining room light (probably made years ago when the lights were changed from gas lights).

The daughter had been a compete PITA complaining about the noise etc we made in a morning spoiling her sleep etc so when we removed these two boards and found her stash of bondage equipment and saucy underwear I thought that it was my duty to feed the switch wire for the light through her crotchless panties etc before replacing the floorboards.

Out of decency I did not screw the boards down with anti-tamper screws.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth