First they came for lightbulbs

Then they came for vacuum cleaners, soon kettles and toasters.

How *do* you make a toaster more efficient?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You don't - you make it less efficient by making it less powerful. Ego it will use slightly more energy over all, but it uses "less power" (if you are a politician)

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh, that 2014 fabricated scare-story's come out of hibernation, has it?

What a surprise.

Even the Telegraph backtracked on it a few months ago.

Reply to
Adrian

Sprinkle the bread with whiskey* before toasting?

  • Other flammable spirits are available ...
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

You surround it with thermal insulation so more of the heat goes into the bread and less comes out of the slots at the top.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You use a radiant element which has a particularly favourable range of wavelengths for browning.

You use a radiant element which only emits where there is bread.

You hang your toast-to-be on a washing line or rack and allow most of its moisture content to evaporate before trying to toast it.

You use sophisticated controls so that you never suffer the double-cost of burning the toast and then having to toast another batch. (Including disposing of the burnt toast, using more toast-to-be, cleaning the toaster and surrounding area, redecorating the kitchen, etc.)

Reply to
polygonum

Well its not come out of hibernation yet - its been put on the "back burner" (If we are still allowed to have such things) until after the referendum in case it makes people vote to leave.

But after the referendum I will wager its "full steam ahead" (well partial steam ahead anyway from our new low power kettles).

Reply to
Chris B

But none of that reverses the simple physical fact that cooking/heating/baking/toasting will all use less energy by using a high power for a short time than using lower power for a longer period due to heat loss - nop matter how good the insulation.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Use dry bread.

Reply to
alan_m

I agree. Doesn't mean there aren't things that could be done if the aim is simply lower electricity consumption.

Reply to
polygonum

Funnily enough, my microwave cooks food quicker than my gas oven, and with a lower thermal input. Probably cheaper too, despite electricity costing

4x the price of gas per kWh.

It's not the power that counts, it's what you do with it.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

baking/toasting I agree with you but long slow cooking with a slow cooker is I think more efficient than using an oven for stews and soups. (I don't fancy toast or roasties made in a slow cooker however)

Reply to
Chris B

Makes rubbish toast.

Ah, sophisticated controls eh? Don't forget that the King had the computer scientist thrown in the moat.

Reply to
Tim Streater

When I lived in Hong Kong I had a slow cooker, I'd dump scraggy lumps of meat and veg in it before going to work in the morning, when I got home in the evening a delicious stoo. From memory it had something like a 50W heater in it. 50W for 8 hours or so? 400Whr, 0.4kWhr, 5p?

jgh

Reply to
jgh

Oh dear, back to buying for stock again! I'm sure the real reason is to lower electricity demand as the generating capacity is being destroyed by the EU eco warriors. Back to coal fires people.

Reply to
Capitol

A good starting point would be if the piggin bread actually fitted the piggin toaster!

Toaster manufacturers obviously don't measure bread and bakers obviously never measure toasters!

Reply to
David Lang

Conveniently ignoring that most slow cooker recipes talk about putting HOT ingredients into them. And often frying off at least some ingredients.

Most of the ones I remember have a range of settings from something like

100 to 250 watts.
Reply to
polygonum

You bring the elements nearer to the bread.

Reply to
harry

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

Make a single-slice one for those of us who want just one slice, but have to warm up two (or more)?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

But the element to bread distance will change what the toast is like.

If the elements are *very* close to the bread (and hot enough) you get a black outside and a soggy inside to your toast. If they're a long way away you just get dried bread that isn't brown at all.

Reply to
cl