Electric cars still a bit shite

My wife can just about be persuaded to drive my Focus (and previously my Primera), but only with extreme reluctance and constant guidance so a rest is not an option (she normally drives a Matiz).

My mother on the other hand, with a little push, could even be persuaded to take over from my dad while he had a sleep - and that was in an Austin 1800 and towing a Sprite Musketeer!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

The closest I've got to that is trying to photograph/film drag racing - at least that's in a nice predictable straight line, but was bloody useless at trying to keep them in the viewfinder!

In fact for stills I did become quite good at using a tripod, allowing for the shutter lag and hoping they'd be were I'd predicted when it actually took!

I probably couldn't do that any more either.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Harry the ones in chinese laundries are different from the ones in powerstations.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perfectly simple to synthesize high energy density fuels anyway when you've got suficient spare power. Just need more nukes.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I think he means wallpaper stripper when he says boiler.

Reply to
dennis

I thought he meant the kettle, but...

Reply to
Adrian

I thought he meant victorian ladies of easy virtue....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It doesn't have a driveway at all, at least at the front. It happens to open onto a road that is not open to the public though.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Sigh. The only point in mentioning a fast charge system is if you have access to it when needed. In the same way as you have access to filling the tank on a petrol car.

And is anything which shortens the life of an already horrendously expensive battery worth mentioning anyway?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Think a whoosh is in order.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Simply carrying a can of petrol will do. Even if you've not got one, you can carry a can from the nearest petrol station or someone can bring you one. An electric car would still be going nowhere under its own power.

That range of 50 would indeed cover a lot of normal useages, but isn't much good when you've just got home with an almost flat battery and unexpectedly need to nip out for something or someone. Again a petrol car can fill up with minimal delay or even just chance it, knowing that they've got a spare can in the boot.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I have had a couple of times where I have received a call to say a relative has died and they are being buried the next morning - on the West coast of Ireland! Too late to get a flight that night; the first flight the next morning too late for us to get there. Jump in the car, drive 2-1/2 hours, catch a ferry, drive 4-1/2 hours and once, get there with 15 minutes to spare! No way with an electric car.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Semtex ?

Large metal spike and a big hammer?

Reply to
The Other Mike

It would _just_ cover me for a return trip to the nearest town of over

2,000 people.
Reply to
Adrian

Probably the 10% who can't get a decent broadband connection because they're in the middle of nowhere.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

It would get me to work, but not back again.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Perfectly conventional ones.

Reply to
harryagain

Muslims? Only muslims bury the next day. Or they didn't really want your presence. What's all this pre-occupation with death anyway?

Reply to
harryagain

In Jewish custom, burial takes place as soon as possible. That can and does mean often mean next day - could be same day.

"It is a Biblical commandment to bury one's deceased immediately after passing, and it is forbidden to leave the deceased unburied overnight unless it is for his honor (i.e. to perform a proper Tahara, obtain shrouds, arrange for a burial plot, gather family, etc.)."

polygonum

Not necessarily a contradiction.

Colin Bignell

Reply to