Subject Author Posted Replies

Electyricity costs
I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit says this: Wholesale costs 36.30% Network costs 27.59% Environmental and social obligation costs 14.79% Other direct costs 1.19%...
38
38

Miele dishwasher help
So our Miele G5500 tripped the RCD yesteday very early in its cycle and continued to do so. I connected it to a mains circuit not on the RCD and it doesn't trip the fuse but after a minute comes up...
11
11

Drilling aluminium
Son has made a frame to cover his circular fish pond, and now is going to fit several triangular aluminium sheets to make it utterly impervious to his new baby son. He nees to drill something like 15,...
54
54

Computer help to connect to internet
I gave this PC away to a guy for his business it is old and uses win xp, I had it working here with a wi-fi (stick) His son set it up for him and apparently configured as below, can anyone help....
121
121

How do flatbed microwave ovens work?
This is what I think of as a magnetron, as used in conventional microwave ovens with a turntable: It's about the size of a fist. So how do they make them flat under the food cavity in flatbed ovens?...
20
20

Speed of light measurement using a domestic microwave oven
This did make me laugh: "Please note that the resolution given by full-sized marshmallows is inadequate." "The author has tried this experiment with Flake bars, which not only burn but produce large...

Smart Meter
My electricity supplier has recommended a tariff which would save me money over the year, but signing up for it also includes this as part of the T&Cs: "By signing up to the tariff you are registering...
41
41

Heat shrink tube fixing
I'm looking for a shrink tube that shrinks down really tight. I made a fishing rod some 30 years ago and used shrink tube to hold the rod rings on. It was a great success and today it's as good as...
21
21

British gas smart meter beeping
My British gas smart meter display unit won't stop beeping. It's a pay as you go meter but has plenty of credit. The constant chirping is driving me mad
25
25

Samsung TV's Ambient mode - TV ad
It suggests that the TV can put on its display, a copy of the wallpaper hidden behind and by the TV, so that the TV became less visible - if I am understanding the ad properly? That suggests the TV...
24
24

Earths can be dangerous
I've disconnected the earth from a lot of my kitchen appliances, for one simple reason, to get a shock you have to touch live AND earth. No earthed stuff all over the place, no chance of a shock. I...
172
172

Convert lock from key operated to combination?
We have a night latch - one of these: What is the best way (ie easiest, not necessarily cheapest) to convert this to combination lock?
15
15

Broken bits from corded curtain rail
Wehave three curtain nrails in our lounge. The nylon or plastic moving bits pn one of them has snapped off leaving the curtain hanging off. Where on earth can I find a supplier that might have spares?
6
6

OT: trivia
Perhaps surprisingly, the man who wrote "Planet of the Apes" also wrote "The Bridge on the River Kwai". He was a Frenchman called Pierre Boulle who had actually been a POW in a camp similar to that...
10
10

heavy Library shelving on metal stud wall?
Hi all, I am trying to put up a library shelving on my metal stud wall ( the wall is 4.2m x 2.5m ) and I am using metal uprights and bracket in every 60cm using zip-fix cavity wall fixings, (so I'm...
13
13