How do flatbed microwave ovens work?

This is what I think of as a magnetron, as used in conventional microwave ovens with a turntable:

It's about the size of a fist. So how do they make them flat under the food cavity in flatbed ovens? Does the magnetron sit under there and is redesigned to be flat? Or is there some kind of fancy rotating waveguide, and the magnetron sits at the side as before?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I asked Mr Google that exact questi With the Flatbed microwave the microwaves are emitted from a rotating antenna located underneath the base of your microwave. The microwaves still bounce around the cavity but at slightly different angles to the turntable microwave.

Why do the flatbed microwave times vary compared to turntable ovens?

Please note that this product uses bottom feeding technology for microwave distribution which differs from traditional turntable side feeding methods and creates more useable space for a variety of different sized dishes. With the flatbed style you may notice a difference in heating times (in microwave mode) when compared against side feeding appliances. This is quite normal and should not cause any concern. One way to overcome this is to use a cooking trivett to place under your dish.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Basically the later I should think.

The one I had in the 1980s had a large aperture covered with mica on the roof of the cooking cavity. The Magnetron was at the side of the cavity with a brass wave guide leading up to the top. A squirrel-cage fan blows air up the wave guide and not only cools the Magnetron, but also rotates a paddle-wheel at the top, a rotating antenna, carrying multiple reflectors thar distribute the radiation throughout the cavity. I imagine modern bottom entry ones do a similar trick, but I have yet to work on one.

Reply to
Graham.

Thjat's precisely the site I read before asking in here. That doesn't say how they get the magnetron to fit though.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I didn't realise they were available in 1980. So why aren't they all like that? Does it add a lot to the price?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The one we had is in the last illustration on this page

I've still got the 170 page hard-back cookery book.

Reply to
Graham.

Bloody hell, those look like very well made and very expensive(?) products.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

That looks quite a sophisticated one for the early 80s. We bought one around 1981 and it had just a simple turn and 'run back' timer. It did last about 17 years, with only a couple of O rings in the turn table drive. We only disposed of it as it started to look tatty.

We've had several since, none have lasted so well.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I once had a microwave that decided to run continuously for no reason, I think some water got through into the workings underneath. Maybe it was just the motor, but I couldn't be bothered as it was a cheap oven so I threw it out. I should have had a look inside.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Fancy roatting waveguide, how do you think radar sets do it? Blimey, you is gettin worse wiv your silly kwesteongs. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Back many years ago this idea was tried by Philips, their microwaves with the drop down door, and with rotating aerial rather than a turntable. to be quite honest it was rubbish and left cold spots in the food so you still had to stop and turn the food.

I think the mistake is that the cavity is not moved in relation to the food so standing waves still exist in the same places and only moving the food relative to those is a true answer to this. End of story. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

That doesn't make sense. Spinning the pattern of microwave radiation must be identical to spinning the food. In both cases they are rotated in relation to one another.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

not identical at all. turntables produce much better evenness than stirrers. Both together are best.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

As I said, it's relative. The food and the microwave pattern are relative to each other. Where the oven is and where the kitchen is don't matter. If you rotate the food, or rotate the microwave pattern, PRECISELY the same effect is achieved.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I know you think that, you already said. And as so many have pointed out you're clueless.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not one person has pointed out why one is more efficient than the other. Please do explain and I will be happy to accept I'm wrong. I doubt Panasonic will though.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

you're too clueless to even accept you might be wrong. I'm not going to spend any more time on this.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I haven't been given information to accept or otherwise. Not one person has put forward any argument for your side. Not one. And as I said, Panasonic seem to think the flatbed system is better. Feel free to argue with their managing director. Good luck with that.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I've a Panasonic one for just over three years. It's quicker than its turntable predecessor and I've never had any problems with it not cooking food throughout.

Reply to
Peter Johnson