Electyricity costs

I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit

says this:

Wholesale costs 36.30% Network costs 27.59% Environmental and social obligation costs 14.79% Other direct costs 1.19% Operating costs 16.46% Supplier pre-tax margin -1.09% VAT 4.76%

That measns that SSE are buying electricity at 6.35613 p a unit. Yet the market average is around 4p-5p a unit????

Note that the network and enviorinmental costs are together 41%. These are massively affected by 'renewable energy'.

Seriously the only way to get electricity prices down is to scrap all renewables and major on gas and nuclear.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's certainly looking difficult to find any decent bargain fixed tariffs, mine's up for renewal next month and the only cheap ones are "no names".

Reply to
Andy Burns

I just did a calculation elsehwer and came up with a figure of a shade over £350m a week to pay for 'reneable energy'.

Biggest single saving we could make would be to scrap climate change act and 'renewable obligation' post brexit..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can recommend Bulb - a pretty reasonable variable tariff, decent website for sending in readings and amazing customer service both by phone and email. They managed to fix a long standing problem where leccy and gas were on different postcodes! (I have a corner house). That used to confuse the hell out of dual fuel signup websites.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The Natural Philosopher wrote on 02/06/2018 :

I agree and in my opinion the result would be much greener anyway.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

One of them recently went broke. I believe in theory you are protected if this happens. The Coop took over the a/cs one one supplier that went broke.

Doing away with smart meters would save money.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Current fix is £48/m, same supplier wants £68/m for a 1 year fix, or £70/m for two years, Bulb comes in at £58/m variable, so yes reasonable.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The one that constantly appears on MSE at £115 cheaper than I'm paying now (let alone what I might have to pay soon) is Outfox, based on their other businesses I will avoid them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Michael Chare laid this down on his screen :

But not nearly as much as doing away with the silly green monster.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

fix, or

Or take a look at Utility Point, they beat Bulb for me recently.

I also took look at Outfox but there is a "membership fee" that doesn't appear in the tarrif details and is added to the bill. I also note that I'm now a "member" of Utilty Point, but no "membership fee" that I've found. Use of the word "member" rather than "customer" is curious, there must be a reason.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I did look at them a few weeks ago, they look very new and presumably very small, the comings and goings of their company names and directors looked odd.

I emailed them a query and they took a week to reply, the reply didn't include an answer, so they dropped down the list.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bollix.

harry

No it won't.

Reply to
harry

Which tariff did you go for BTW, 15 months fixed or 27 months tracker?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't have a problem with that. I've got two accounts with them, opened 6 days apart. Account number goes up by 1350 ish and the highest is around 29,500. That was 4 weeks ago.

Nothing that rung alarm bells here. IIRC the scretary resigned but they where a solictors or similar. Some one else did come in and go out, without staying long.

I phoned a couple of times, they don't operate a "musak on hold" system but an answerphone for you to leave a number for them to call you back. which they do within a few hours.

I have also emailed, and yes a response took a while but answered question. We shall see if what they say will be done will be, combine both electricity accounts into one login. The account GUI has drop down lists to select an account, presumably designed for gas & eletric. Rather than two electric.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You forgot to think about the cost of building Nuclear, and you can't even have it built for fifteen years, probably twenty if you include the whole process. Hinkley Point already revising their costs upwards. TW

Reply to
TimW

[...]

there in a nutshell the idiocy of the Right Wing. Did you not think there might be a reason to avoid climate change?

TW

Reply to
TimW

Which is a matter for their investors, not the electricity buying public.

Reply to
Andy Burns